Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL, Holden or Nissan???

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
12Voltking said:
The only reason that the exhaust and intake is different on the Holdens compared to, Chevy, GMC, Buick, Oldsmobile and Saturn is due to the fact that they were used in FWD cars. Not rear wheel.

I'm hoping that people will soon realise that the 3.8 is NOT a Buick engine. Infact it is a GM motor which owns Buick and the motor is used across the board in all platforms. INCLUDING Cadillacs that are not using the Northstar V8

The 3.8 motor also comes in a 3.1 and a 3.4 size.

Trust me, look through the different cars released with Buick Badge on them....you don't want to own one of them! Let alone associate your own car with one.

After this enlightenment maybe more people will realise the V8s are not just Chevy engines either. Doubt it though as it is a sore point for some.

My car, well it's just confused: Badged Toyota, put together by Holden and powered by an American GM motor.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Pretender said:
V8s are not just Chevy engines either.

Oh god no! Once again!, Chevy, GMC, Buick, Oldsmobile Pontiac and Saturn

I also noticed that I forgot to put that the 3.8 is also used in Pontiacs.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
We won't get into from where some of the parts are sourced for assembly in the USA. That will just make people cry.

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
personally i hate it it when people talk about this topic because ive had so many people on this forum tell me im not a true holden supporter just because i have a vl which has a nissan motor. It really pisses me off cause clearly i dont agree with em.

I think VL's came out with one of the sexiest commodore shapes. But thats my opinion, and yeah i really dont like it when people say its not a holden.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
vlfury said:
personally i hate it it when people talk about this topic because ive had so many people on this forum tell me im not a true holden supporter just because i have a vl which has a nissan motor. It really pisses me off cause clearly i dont agree with em.

I think VL's came out with one of the sexiest commodore shapes. But thats my opinion, and yeah i really dont like it when people say its not a holden.

You most certainly own a Holden so do I but it's badged as a Toyota.
We Lexcen owners cop a lot from others as well.
If we used the logic of the VL argument then there are no Holdens currently produced apart from the cars which are assembled overseas that use the Family II engine
This of course means that the Daewoo Nubira is a Holden and a Commodre is not.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
VSCLUBBIE said:
Do you think that a VL can really be classed as a Commodore? OR should it be reconised as a Nissan?

After all, Imagine if they replaced the 5.0 litre for the VN onwards with a Toyota V8... You wouldn't class it a Commodore, surely!!! It would be like Ford replacing their 4.0 litre with a Lexus straight 6...We'd be baggin the crap out of them!

Yeah it's a Holden. An engine/box combo isn't a car. Using your logic countless thousands of Pulsars and Saabs are Holden because they run a family II engine. Is the VN-VY a Buick (or Corvette)??

Most cars are a big conglomeration of bought in parts that are assembled by the manufacturer. The VL was assembled by Holden and is no different to any other car.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
12Voltking said:
The only reason that the exhaust and intake is different on the Holdens compared to, Chevy, GMC, Buick, Oldsmobile and Saturn is due to the fact that they were used in FWD cars. Not rear wheel.

I'm hoping that people will soon realise that the 3.8 is NOT a Buick engine. Infact it is a GM motor which owns Buick and the motor is used across the board in all platforms. INCLUDING Cadillacs that are not using the Northstar V8

The 3.8 motor also comes in a 3.1 and a 3.4 size.

Trust me, look through the different cars released with Buick Badge on them....you don't want to own one of them! Let alone associate your own car with one.

Fair comment. IMHO the Ser 1 VN motor was very symptomatic of what it was - a rough as guts rush job to get the car on the production line. They did get a lot better in the Ser II onwards.

In my experience the VP - VR and ecotec motors have proven exceptionally reliable with the bodies of the cars more often wearing out well before the engines do. This is a big step when you cast your mind back 10-15 years before that when a reco engine was routine about 1/2 way thru the cars life.

Reaper

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Reaper, I never mentioned about the quality of the motor. I was simply pointing out that it isn't a Buick motor.

Girl Torque

VL Calais 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais.. etc
I have a VL - NOT powered by a Nissan.. the V8's are Holden...

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
So I own a Holsan? Or a Nisden?