Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL, Holden or Nissan???

GLD-086

Reaction score
All VLs are Holdens, whether they're powered by Nissan or not.

Whether people don't want to call them Holdens, is their own opinion, but the fact still remains, that on the rego, it's says Holden.

VLs always cop ****, from both sides.

I think the people who say that VLs are only good/quick, because they have a Nissan engine, are very ignorant.

If that was the case, then there would be no need for a gearbox, driveshaft, diff, tires, brakes etc.

The engine by itself, doesn't make a car, what it is.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Pretender said:
You most certainly own a Holden so do I but it's badged as a Toyota.

That doesn't make sense. She owns a car that is badged Holden but powered by nissan. So that makes her car a Holden correct? Yet your car is badged Toyota but powered by GM. So how does that make it a Holden? :confused:

I feel a flaming coming on here:flame:

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
lol end of topic vl is a Holden allways has been allways will be if ur gonna start on things like this **** because it has something from another car can u really say that half the new holdens are really holdens if there bassed on the korean or wotever **** they got it from.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
12Voltking said:
That doesn't make sense. She owns a car that is badged Holden but powered by nissan. So that makes her car a Holden correct? Yet your car is badged Toyota but powered by GM. So how does that make it a Holden? :confused:

LOL, love that comment.

Honestly does it really matter, if the other Commo owners are giving you a hard time just call their cars opels and be done with it.

As long as Holden dosn't turn the Commodore into a FWD drive car I'll be happy.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
subdue said:
Even Opel,vaxhual Vectra is A Holden.... weird isn't it.

The engines for the Vectra were developed by a company called GM Powertrain and are used in Saabs and Fiats aswell. You couldn't say a Vectra was a Saab or Fiat!!

The Opel and Vauxhall Vectras have a much wider engine and model range (including a V6 turbo Vectra VXR) than the Holden for some reason, and they also have a revised interior, headlights and exterior trim.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/carsan...age&vehicleType=C&scope=S&brandName=newVectra

Bit off topic but never mind!

The VL is definitely a Holden.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
The car is Holden

But as far as I'm concerned, the engines definately.

100_2148Medium.jpg

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Tea Party

12Voltking said:

I feel a flaming coming on here:flame:

I have no matches, sorry.

I'm confused myself which is only normal for me.
VLs, VNs, VPs etc etc including the Lexcen all come from the same manufacturer which happens to be Holden thereby all are Holdens.
They just borrowed some important parts from other makers like motors and stuff. Well that's my reasoning anyway.
Of course my car is far more reliable than a VN Commodore because it's a Toyota and we know Toyotas are famous for their reliability.

VKs and prior are the only Holdens in the Commodore range going by the engine=make formula, but then again the bodies are a copy of the Opels through all Commodores.
Has anybody checked to see if the Holden plant still exists. I think it may have shutdown in 1979 after selling the last of the Kingswoods and Toranas.

We have all been duped. What the hell brand of car do I drive? I think I'll go and buy a Mazda, wait it could be a Ford, ummm how about a VW, oh, ****, I just can't win. I'll fix the tubes on my pushbike then.

GLD-086

Reaction score
Pretender said:
I have no matches, sorry.

I'm confused myself which is only normal for me.
VLs, VNs, VPs etc etc including the Lexcen all come from the same manufacturer which happens to be Holden thereby all are Holdens.
They just borrowed some important parts from other makers like motors and stuff. Well that's my reasoning anyway.
Of course my car is far more reliable than a VN Commodore because it's a Toyota and we know Toyotas are famous for their reliability.

VKs and prior are the only Holdens in the Commodore range going by the engine=make formula, but then again the bodies are a copy of the Opels through all Commodores.
Has anybody checked to see if the Holden plant still exists. I think it may have shutdown in 1979 after selling the last of the Kingswoods and Toranas.

We have all been duped. What the hell brand of car do I drive? I think I'll go and buy a Mazda, wait it could be a Ford, ummm how about a VW, oh, ****, I just can't win. I'll fix the tubes on my pushbike then.

Exactly mate.

Like I said before, no matter how much people try and convince themselves, that VLs aren't Holdens, because they have a jap engine, it will always say Holden on the rego and compliance plates.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Just put an 86 VL next to an 86 Skyline, you can see the difference.

THe motors are similar , but the other parts arn't the same. You can't put pintara body parts on a VL can yah ? :p

Last edited: