Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL hydraulic lifters

The V-HELL

For the love of VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
hi guys,

im fairly new to this site so im sorry if this sounds silly.

The hydraulic lifters in my old VL are on the way out and i think im going to have to replace them. they make alot of noise when i kick her over and continue to do so whilst under power aswell. the odd thing about the noise is that it seems to get louder in waves going from a dull tapping to a very loud tapping.

the VL has a Crower cam in it which would have chewed through the lifters.

i ran lifter cleaner through it last service to see if it would improve but this was to no avail. i also went to a holden dealership and asked them about it and said to always use 10/40w oil cause its abit thinner and wont sludge up as much as 20/50w. im not sure if this is true or not.

anyway long story short does anyone reccommend any brand of lifters that wont be destroyed by the after market cam?
and does anyone have any insight into why my lifters make noise in waves?

thanks heaps guys.
sorry if this was abit confusing.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
I recommend a bottle of "lifter free", 20w50 brand name oil, and filter and oil change every 5000kms. do not over fill your oil level.
the noise comes in waves because the pressure changes on each lifter as the engine revolves and the cam pushes them up and down. this is normal.
another cause could be a blocked oil pickup, oil pump wear and failure.
also we don't recommend using engine flush as this can peel the paint off the inside of your sump and cause your pickup to become blocked reducing oil pressure.

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8

The V-HELL

For the love of VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Thanks for the response guys. I'll have a look at the timing cause I service it religiously every 5000km and change the filters etc.

I really hope it's just a simple timing problem, I'm not to keen on buying 12 new lifters