Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Capncommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Vacationer 3.0
Hi,

I have a 1988 VL Vacationer 3.0L Automatic. It's rarely driven these days but when I jumped in it the other day to take it for a drive I noticed an odd knocking/thumping sound on occasion while accelerating. It definitely sounds as though it's coming from under the car, center or back left. It doesn't seem to always happen and if it does start knocking/thumping, letting off the gas for a moment then accelerating again seemed to stop it, at least for that period of acceleration. I was thinking drive shaft or diff, but I don't seem to lose any or much power and it doesn't happen every time I accelerate. Plan on lifting it tomorrow to take a look, but any thoughts much appreciated!

Cheers

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
I would check, Exhaust hangers, trans mounts, tailshaft centre rubber and bearing. for starters.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
yes as above try the rummer exhaust hanger at the back because that could easily cause the knocking sound

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
my exhaust was knocking on my rear panhard rod.. and sometimes rear resonator was hitting spare wheel well turns out it was a rubber hanger and i wrapped on a cut heater hose over panhard rod to stop the bashing

but i like what Jatsvl has said above as well

Capncommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Vacationer 3.0
Cheers for the suggestions guys. After lifting the car I found the problem as soon as I lay my hands on the driveshaft. As much as I don't like to conform too much, even I have to agree there should have been some sign of a center bearing on the hanger mount there. Bearing had completely destroyed itself. Ordered up a new one so should be able to fix that up this weekend. I love taking a look under that car, every time I do I know I'm going to find **** wrong haha.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
Cheers for the suggestions guys. I love taking a look under that car, every time I do I know I'm going to find **** wrong haha.

but the good thing is mostly they are an easy cheap fix.