Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl Lights

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I'm looking into buying a VL Calais, I've always loved the look of them.. Especially the slimmer lights on the Calais rather than the bulky lights on the standard model.. anyway, I was wondering is it possible to exchange the lights on a standard VL for the slimmer lights from a Calais?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

D

drift3l

dude, the lights are the same, its the nose panel and light covers that give it that look. its pretty hard to get those parts, if you find them its not going to be cheap.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
vl commodore calais, you can find the part's, there are heaps of places out there that will do the parts (pannel wise for ya) but the problem is gonna be with your electrics, vl calais have a different wiring system for lighting, you normaly have a 30a realy (dont quote me on current there) controling the light's on a normal, calais has the same, but it also has more relays' to control the little flaps oppening, if you can get your hands on a calais that's been rear ended then it will work, but the car's are starting to get old now, the common fault with the car now days is gonna be the fact it's a little 12vdc motor that controls it, if you know anything about electric motors (im a electrican by trade so i know heaps bout them and electrical things in general) you will be looking at getting them rebuilt, the average life on any electrical motor is only about 15-16 yrs, your motor wont need re-winding, but you will need a new set of brushes and probably the comutator will need cleaning, get the windings tested, (you can do this yoru self, [email protected] if you wanna know how) it's the exact same principle as in a a alternator, the only difference is one makes power, the other uses power. good luck, and i hope you got heaps of money for this little venture

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Ok, cool thanks for all the advice.. I'm only 17 (pretty much) so I think I might go for a "ready to go" vehicle.. hehe thanks all the same guys, appreciated