Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl ls conversion

Krisvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl berlina
Hey guys recently got a vl berlina rb30 manual, i want to go down the path of ls conversion ls1 or ls2, just wondering if anyones done it and would be able to assist with questions, thanks

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
there are a few ways to go about it with certain issues and what things you use which depend really on your situation and choices... bearing in mind there is a lot on the car from tailshaft, diff, speedo, gearbox/mount, radiator, steering, radiator/fans, electrical, exhaust, fuel, etc etc that need to be changed again depending which way you want to go and budget.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
easy unless your buying a brand new Ls with gearbox from the usa...... biggest expense is the motor/gearboxl which can be sourced 2nd and other parts are available aftermarket or wreckers.
price is dictated by new or old and workshop Labour cost ?,
You can do it for $10K with 2nd parts and you doing all the work. So it could be from as low as $10K to $$ ??? depending which way you go/do it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'll throw in that I did one in a VC and including the engine and transmission purchase and a tune, came in at about $3500. No engineering though. I would agree with Vin999 about $10K being the minimum for street legal.

Krisvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl berlina
I havent yet decided whether to buy engine new or 2nd hand, keen on a t56 magnum gearbox? expensive but ive been told worth it.. im not doing the conversion myself, im looking for shop/shops to do all the work to a high standard just wanting to know the costs and the work involved, are people strengthening there chassis? An average cost of getting it running mint and road legal would be really helpful. Ill keep keep this forum up to date with progress

Reactions: Lex

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd extend your budget beyond $25K then. Closer to $30K.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
i saw a vl on a tilt bed some time ago looked liked it had a ls1 in it ,had no bonnet on it so i could see the engine bay