Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl Nightmare! :(

Brenno85au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi guys- i do need some help here big time!!

i have--> a VL commodore wagon, 5 speed manual Rb30 Stock motor
My problems-
HIGH FUEL CONSUMPTION- excessive black smoke on frequent occasions
NOT START WHEN IT HAS LESS THAN 1/4 TANK OF FUEL(i put more than a 1/4 in and it will start again- definately has fuel in it and is not a faulty fuel float sensor thing)
GUTTLESS RUNNING- This car has the power of a four cylinder and the fuel consumption of a V8

ok now here we go-

This car has run like this since it was bought over a year ago these are the things i have replaced:
I have replaced the FUEL TANK, FUEL PUMP, COIL, COMPLETE DISTIBUTER(crank angle sanser and so forth), oxygen sensor coming off of exhaust manifold, ENGINE COMPUTER, LEADS & 4xsets of spark plugs, AIR FLOW METER AND SENSER AND COMPLETE PIPE ASSEMBLY TO AND FROM, NEW POD FILTER, NEW HOSES, ALL FUSES AND RELAYS, BATTERY+TERMINALS.

After all of this- the problem is still exactly the same as wot it was when i first got the car!!!!! So....i took it to a few mates who are good mechanics, they were stumped! So i took the plung and decided to take it to a mechanics place- they had it for a day, rang me back told me 2 injecters were stuffed and told me it would cost $250 to overhaul them. So i told them to go ahead. I get another call back saying that four of them need overhauling and it would cost $450 so i said ok.

Well i picked it up and drove it for about a kilometer and had to get it towed back there the next day for them to inspect.

IT TOOK FOUR DAYS WITH 7 DIFFERENT MECHANICS THAN INSPECTED IT TO TELL ME THAT THE ECU CHECKED FINE AND NO PROBS, THEY DID A COMPRESSION TEST AND THERE WAS NO PROBLEMS, THEY DID A FUEL PRESSURE TEST AND THERE WAS NO PROBLEMS EITHER.

So the outcome was- they didnt know, i got the sh*ts with them for taking so long and went and picked it up.

i have tried collecting the return fuel and this makes no improvement, the fuel i use is always good, the reason i went thru so many plugs was cause they would foul up within within 5 minutes of driving when it spits out fuel smoke from the exhaust- but i later realised when it isnt blowing heavy amounts of fuel out, the plugs actually clean themselves up.

registration is in one month- i've spent to much money on this car and i just fell like i wanna :cry: all the time help me!

If you need any more information ask and i shall tell as im going to go insane and i need this fixed!!!

i've also checked fusable links,
if it doesnt work soon im just gonna throw a match in the piece of ****

thanx people :b:

gem

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon (VN wagon sold)
Seemes like you have just about a new car there with all those items you have replaced... anyway while you are replacing things I would try replacing the fuel pressure regulator, sometimes the diaphram leaks and the engine sucks in heaps of fuel through the small vacuum line, causing similar syptoms...

And as for the multitude of mechanics etc... Because it is an itermittant fault, it is great to test the fuel pressure and other things... but when the car is running fine, those tests will show up good.... you need to be testing when the fault happens... Im talking fuel pressure guages taped to your windscreen etc... Monitoring the Injector Pulse width while driving when the fault occurs...

Also what fuel pump did you replace? VL has an in tank one also I believe.

Brenno85au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
RE: Gem

I replaced the from a known working VL wagon the same as mine and also the internal became a different one from the moment i put the other fuel tank in which was also from the same working vehicle.

I've planned to change the fuel pressure regulator, went to have a go but it's a little difficult to get to it to remove one of the bolts. i'm tossing up between pulling all of the injector assembly stuff off and replacing the regulator, or just pulling everything to do with injection off and replacing the whole lot from my other car which is a VL. I will go down and get new fuel filter this week also just to make sure that it isnt the reason for car being sluggish, and it also couldnt hurt just to get another one.

Thanx for your input Gem.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Nothing To Loose...But my VL was running like a bag of **** once,took it to the doctors & for a while there had him stumped,any to cut a long story.. Try looking at the actual wiring running to the injectors,the wiring gets brittle & cut's power...just a thought mate..that's what happened to my **** heap.

Brenno85au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
RE: Rovert

Thanx Rovert will have a look tommorrow. thanx mate

P.S

VN's :rofl: yeah rite!

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Have you taken it to an auto sparkie? It will take ages but get them to check the loom for breaks. They test continuity between the various engine components and the ECU.

Brenno85au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Ok guys well i spent 4 hours swapping over the fuel pressure regulator the other day- wot a bastard of a job. i couldnt tell you if that was the problem or not yet- it's not blown any more black smoke and it did seem to idle and run without having tiny splutters in the rythym of the revs. Now that could be one of the problems now fixed but ive not really driven it that much to see if it will stuff around again. Sooo anyways- the problem still remains that this car is VERY sluggish i lose drags to the old pulsar 1.6's and another called a starlet i think it was called, a 1.3litre that is!!!!! my god!!! and me in a VL??! god damn it- so next i will replace the fuel filter and see if that improves it's running. @ the moment i max out 2nd gear at 80 and it goes nowhere between 50-80(as in slow to get from 50-80) and my other commy could comfortably get up to 100-110 in second b4 it starts losing power. i've also heard another theory from someone else i know who is a mechanic he thinks it's a sure thing that it's the cadeletic convertic without even seeing the car. So i might just poke out all of the insides of that and see if that helps 2.

anyway i'll lets yas know when it's done so that if you've had the same problem it might help

byeeee :w00t:

Attachments

• commodore.jpg
    commodore.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 411

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Is your car really loud and droney.. I doubt your cat would cause that much unless it was blocked up really bad.

Time for a mechanic for you I think.