Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL no crank

Al dirte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv uterus & Vl executive
aye guys I've hit a wall with my 87 vl rb30e auto,

I've recently changed the head gasket and timing belt tensioner
got it running and driving all seemed good until the other week I went out to start it and go through diagnostic mode to see if everything was running good but turned the key and nothing tried a couple of time and nothing then it cranked over spluttered and cut out. ever since then I've had absolutely no luck even getting a crank. changed over starter today and got nothing. at an absolute loss now. any help as where to look and what to try, have read almost everything there is on here in relation to ignition and park netural switches but still not 100% what I'm looking at. any help would be awesome

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
CAS in the distributor, or the wire harness that it plugs into not contacting. Or coil...

Al dirte

Reaction score
Members Ride
CAS in the distributor, or the wire harness that it plugs into not contacting. Or coil...
alright I'll swap out with a known working full set up. is there a way to check any of this with multi meter? just to nail down what's part is 100% failed. I've got a donor car wich is project 2 so trying to keep as much as possible

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Cas, dizzy or coil fault will not stop it from cranking.

Check starter wiring and relay. Check if you are getting a signal at the relay when you turn the key.

Al dirte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cas, dizzy or coil fault will not stop it from cranking.

Check starter wiring and relay. Check if you are getting a signal at the relay when you turn the key.
cheers mate I'll have a sus tomorrow after some multi research haha, havnt been able to find the relay for it but did the whole positive to both terminals on starter and got a reading on the motor terminal that just kept climbing started low then was around 300v in acc. cheers for your help

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
it cranked over spluttered and cut out
Yeah ok sorry, I didn't read it right I had the above in my mind and shut the rest out, have you tried jumping the starter motor with ignition on? Is your earth leads tight to the engine, do you have a immobiliser which maybe not switching off, try spare set of keys if you have some, If you can have someone turn the key you can test the purple wire at the starter motor if there no power there when turning the key to start then it be a relay or fuse problem, VLs had a problem with the purple wire that goes from key to starter motor.

Al dirte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah ok sorry, I didn't read it right I had the above in my mind and shut the rest out, have you tried jumping the starter motor with ignition on? Is your earth leads tight to the engine, do you have a immobiliser which maybe not switching off, try spare set of keys if you have some, If you can have someone turn the key you can test the purple wire at the starter motor if there no power there when turning the key to start then it be a relay or fuse problem, VLs had a problem with the purple wire that goes from key to starter motor.

all good mate, do you mean jumping from another battery to both terminals on the starter? if so no. I checked out my earths yesterday seemed alright but Il run a spanner over them today. I do have a kill switch but its run to the fuel relay. ill test the purple today. just checking that's the one that runs back from the plug through the conduit and runs to the three relays next too the bat pos?.. wich I have no idea what they are for?haha could that be the mysterious starter relay?

Last edited: