Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL: Old School or Modern Classic

GLD-086

Reaction score
What do you think the VL is? Old School or Modern Classic?

I've always thought of the VL, as the model sandwiched between Holden's Old School heritage and's Holden Modern heritage.

Lets look at the facts.

First Holden, to feature a modern OHC 6 Cylinder and 4 Speed Auto and the last Holden to feature the old carby V8 and 3spd. (Also marking the Walkinshaw, as the first Holden, with a EFI V8)

Bodywise, I've always considered the VL to look modern, with some old school feel to it.

Mainly because of it's resembelence to VB-VKs.

What are your thoughts?:)

Remember it's only an opinion.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
It needs it's own category. Like you said, it's right there in the middle, with some of the 'old school features' and some of the newer ones....

I dunno what you'd call it. Modern Classic though seems to sum it up pretty well.....

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003

I've always thought of the VL, as the model sandwiched between Holden's Old School heritage and's Holden Modern heritage.

Lets look at the facts.

First Holden, to feature a modern OHC 6 Cylinder and 4 Speed Auto and the last Holden to feature the old carby V8 and 3spd. (Also marking the Walkinshaw, as the first Holden, with a EFI V8)

Bodywise, I've always considered the VL to look modern, with some old school feel to it.

Yeh mod classic sounds good...:thumbsup:

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice

Lets look at the facts.

I'd say you've summed it up quite nicely.:w00t:

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
the VL, despite being an old fashioned shape, was a popular model and sold well, at least the 6 was popular, the V8 was down on power

the nissan engine was and is famous for being very smooth and responsive, the old blue 6 cyl engines were down on power but used more petrol

as of about 1989, the VL as a used car was actually worth more than the replacement model, the VN
this was a new shape with the first V6, but wasnt much liked in general

G

Grantis1976

Hard one to pick....

My idea of a modern classic is a FJ ute thats been doing the shows for afew years, that is all VL drivetrain ! RB30E, auto, diff.

:thumbsup:

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
they are getting on now aren't they, mine hits the big 20 next year. i have always thought of the vl as the perfect compromise. the vb-vk's had the shitty 6's in them that i wouldn't go near and the vn-vp's were just heaps of ****. so i reckon they would probably be a modern classic, nothing any newer could ever be a classic because of the shift in manufacturing processes taking away that classic feel. whenever i'm in a new car i feel bored, there's just no soul or anything special about it visually or while driving it, its just so bland.

i sold my first vl a few years back and bought a vn and it was the biggest mistake, just felt so cheap and rough compared to a vl. the vn ineterior was the first of the plastic trash era and fell to bits really easily. not to mention those annoying head liners. i dont think it went any better than a vl and the motors were just so harsh.

i'll be a vl owner for many years yet, you just can't beat em i reckon

GLD-086

Reaction score
they are getting on now aren't they, mine hits the big 20 next year. i have always thought of the vl as the perfect compromise. the vb-vk's had the shitty 6's in them that i wouldn't go near and the vn-vp's were just heaps of ****. so i reckon they would probably be a modern classic, nothing any newer could ever be a classic because of the shift in manufacturing processes taking away that classic feel. whenever i'm in a new car i feel bored, there's just no soul or anything special about it visually or while driving it, its just so bland.

i sold my first vl a few years back and bought a vn and it was the biggest mistake, just felt so cheap and rough compared to a vl. the vn ineterior was the first of the plastic trash era and fell to bits really easily. not to mention those annoying head liners. i dont think it went any better than a vl and the motors were just so harsh.

i'll be a vl owner for many years yet, you just can't beat em i reckon

lol I swear just about every VL owner, hates the VN.

I haven't driven a VN before, but I've heard, the VN went backwards to the VL. (I hate the shape anyway)

I also agree, that alot of new cars feel bland and boring.

I just like the retro, but modern feel of the VL.:)

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
lol I swear just about every VL owner, hates the VN.

I haven't driven a VN before, but I've heard, the VN went backwards to the VL. (I hate the shape anyway)

I also agree, that alot of new cars feel bland and boring.

I just like the retro, but modern feel of the VL.:)
i love that comment right there its perfect

both vn and vp family cars so ive driven both and, i have to say id much prefer a vl over eitehr vn or vp and day, due to the shape looks better and i just think vl's are a nicer car.

ThongyVL

Reaction score
Website
www.thongysautoparts.com
Members Ride
97 VS Acclaim
I have owned 2 commodores now. First was a VS II Acclaim Wagon, the Ecotec Engine was pretty smooth, CAI, chiped it, 2.5 inch exhaust all the way, Hi-Flow Cat, lowered handled very well at 180kms, close to 185kw power. Now standrard stock VL, but now got it chipped and gears changes smoother, engines runns quieter nothing beats the VL still. If I et another Commodore it'll be a another VSII