Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL on LPG advise

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
Is there anyone out there that can give me some advise, i would like to convert my 87 vl sl s2 to straight gas, is there anyone out there who has done this and if so whats good about it whats bad?I also want to make some power out of it, in the near future i will put on some new rockers and a lumpy cam and possibly a chip to match the cam. any advise i should take on board?prices and where to get it done?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
There is quite a long waiting list for gas conversions at the moment, just hold off a little bit because I heard the federal government is going to subsidise conversions to gas by giving $1000 towards the cost.

I would rather get a small supercharger than a cam/chip package, costs around the same and better results and easier to upgrade later on with better blower or even swap to a turbo setup.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
since your car is 20 years old I wouldnt be doing much to it at all
the cost of the gas conversion is probably about the same as the car is worth

if you want a highly modified VL, then buy one thats already been done by someone else, see the trading post, etc
its not unusual to spend 20, 000 on a VL but to be very lucky to get an extra 10, 000 for the car when selling it

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
yeah, but i have already made this car my project, its already had work done and it means alot to me and yeah i just want to be capiable of affording the fuel to drive it. and its very hard to find a car that is straight gas not duel, and i want to be straight. i will turbo it in the near future after the paint and a few other little bits. before the end of next year hopefully.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
There is one major flaw with straight gas, If you run out of gas you can't just grab a jerry can and go to the servo. you need a tow truck. Another thing with gas is that the price keeps jumping, there should not be jumps in the price of LPG, it comes from Bass straight and is plentiful.

And it has been said that the conversion is worth Around $3500 or so. It's your car so if you want it on gas go for it, I'd rather not myself as I don't like the idea of a gas cylinder behind the back seat.

If a car is dual fuel it can be tuned for straight gas. Its just a change of the ignition curve i think. Gas is higher octane than petrol so duel fuel systems are tuned for the lesser fuel which is petrol.

Also if its on straight gas you are pretty much limited to driving the car only in populated areas (not every town has LPG), so say driving interstate would not be possible.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
oow i really like that last point, about driving interstate, thats somethgin that i didn't think about. Any idea about it it is tuned for gas would it still run on petrol tho? i would think that it might not as the spark is not advanced nearly as much on gas as it is on petrol...

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Stewart1000 said:
oow i really like that last point, about driving interstate, thats somethgin that i didn't think about. Any idea about it it is tuned for gas would it still run on petrol tho? i would think that it might not as the spark is not advanced nearly as much on gas as it is on petrol...

I drove from Adelaide and to Dandenog and back in a LPG only car, my old VB about 7yrs ago and never got close to running out at any stage of the trip and now there are even more lpg pumps about...:thumbsup:

L

Larzface

Hello Commodore nutters

What mods can i do to my vl GAS powered crapheap ??? Im a vl man from way bacjk