Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Overheating and cutting out

PANN1C VL

PANN1C VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Hey all. My VL commodore seems to only cut out when it gets hot. It gets to about 100 degrees and then it dies. After about 20 minutes or so it starts up fine and will drive for about another 10 minutes then die again. Is it possible for a fuel pump to be "half ****ed" or would that be a thermostat problem? Please help as this has been giving me grief for awhile and coming up to summer want the problem fixed before that. Thanks.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
crank angle sensor.....
few people had problem simular, car runs fine but once it get to temp splutters and dies, let cool its fine then when warm again it dies.

try the cas first as it seem all to simular too a few other cases

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
fit a new thermostat in case its not opening properly temp shouldnt go that high
you can check old one by gradually warming it in a saucepan of water on stove, but dont drop it into very hot water or it usually breaks

berlinabeast

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 holden berlina 'rb20e'
I agree with both guys theres a few possibilities are the guys started above

crank angle sensor
thermostat

also check your cooling fluid, alot of people these days just throw in water from the tap, if that's so it could be boiling and causing your car to overheat.

If you check the service manual (not the standard book that comes with your car)

i think the car has a sensor for sensing overheating and will cut it's self to prevent further damage.

If you have checked all of the above and everything is fine, then check the comp.

Do a search on the forum there is a stop by step guide in how to play with the comp

also check for a damaged radiator.

Just a few logical ideas

Pete vl Mcewan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL exec
Hey all. My VL commodore seems to only cut out when it gets hot. It gets to about 100 degrees and then it dies. After about 20 minutes or so it starts up fine and will drive for about another 10 minutes then die again. Is it possible for a fuel pump to be "half ****ed" or would that be a thermostat problem? Please help as this has been giving me grief for awhile and coming up to summer want the problem fixed before that. Thanks.
Having the same Problem and trying to find it now. Will post up when I find it...

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
make sure you bleed it properly

bb_zetec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SV6 Sportwagon Slipstream Blue Black Ed.
Mate i had a VL Calais about 15 years ago and had the same exact problems as you.

The CAS was replaced (hopefully it is just that for you), they also found that the distributor bearing can fail and contaminate the CAS. Ended up getting a replacement dissy with new bearing and CAS as the bearing was failing anyway and the dizzy was sloppy.

This did not fix it for me, ended up being the low idle circuit in the ECU was faulty. The ECU was sent away for repair and then the problem was fixed. After the ECU warmed up it would cut out and once it cooled would restart again.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore

This sounds like what happen to me last night. Did you work out what the problem was pann1c vl?