Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl pop ups wont stop going??

scooner08

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls got a quick question to put out there.
Doing a Calais mock up, wired it up temp last night just to make sure everything is working fine, all good except my pop ups just open and close themselves constantly when they get power??
I know it's a common problem but does anyone know how to fix it?
Because I didn't have the loom to plug them in I have had to wire them to another relay in the box ( it's a relay the same as relay J - headlight relay)
I can hear the relay click and everything but the pop ups are freaking themselves out.
Any help appreciated
Cheers

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Have you recently washed your car? I've heard that people have gotten their relays wet and it's caused this issue, so they had to leave their relay in the sun or whatever to dry. Regardless, though, it sounds like a relay issue to me, whether it's dodgy or what I couldn't tell you, if you have one, try another relay to make sure.

Either that, or something is jamming, causing the lights to go back down, then back up, jamming, back down etc but i'm almost 100% sure it's the relays getting wet.

scooner08

Reaction score
Relay has never been wet only got it on Friday.
I have wired it up the way the diagram shows that's floating round on the forum.
Has anyone got any pics by any chance of theirs wired up? At the lights motor and relay?
I have no clue what else could be doing it, I can hear the relay click when the lights are turned on and off.

scooner08

Reaction score
wiring calais popups to exec - calaisturbo.com.au

scroll down a bit on there, there's a diagram

Hmmm yeah that's the one I went off then I just read the comments on those posts and the have hooked 86 - 85 and grounded 86 ....I think I'm reading those posts right
My 86 from the headlight lamp relay is going to 86 on the new relay might try having a play and see what happens.
Thanks for the replies guy it's much appreciated

Also do you guys happen to know whether the actual motor could have anything to do with it? Or is it highly unlikely because it just pretty much goes on and off as in it doesn't have a relay in it?

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I've never seen the mechanics of the pop up lights so It's pretty new territory to me, but based on people who have had the same issue on other forums, no one has really mentioned the motor being the cause of the issue, it's all mainly based around relay issues. You wouldn't think it would be the motor, as since you said, it just goes on & off basically, & I doubt it would be worn or anything like that since the symptoms would be different.

killacommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl calais
I had the same problem an it started after i washed mycar, found the relay an was wet as, dryed it of n sprayed some auto electronic cleaner an now shes sweet.