Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl project :-P

ash23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
hey guys check out my vl. at the moment it is my daily drive but not too sure but may be getting my liscense suspended for 3 months soon...
anyway basically i have got it back to stock and tidyed it up really nice, fixed pretty much all leaks: oil, water, powersteering etc. also new distributor cap, leads, plugs, oil, filter, fuel filter, timing belt, and water pump.

since that i have painted the rocker cover and replaced the old plastic intake pipes with alloy ones and a pod filter. apart from that the car is fully stock.

being still on green p's i cant have a turbo yet but looking to slam a bit more power out of it.. if my lisecense does get suspended i will be dropping the engine out but otherwise for now i would prefer not to.

suggestions please :D

Attachments

• IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 937
  • IMG_2474.jpg
    IMG_2474.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 731
  • IMG_2477.jpg
    IMG_2477.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 693

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
shes a looker. take some pix of the interior
is it a manual or an auto?
if it were me i would paint the grey part black and debadge her
how much was it

ash23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
i have debadged it front and back and rebadged with vs badges. im pretty happy with the looks for the moment, just after some more power... but il get some interior pics if u want. its auto, manual conversion definately near top of the list

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
nice mate, you can do things like extractors and advancing the cam timing and k&n filter if you want cheap mods.

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
looks pretty clean... u should drop a ls2 in it 4 shits and giggles.
Shouldnt this be in the my rides section tho?

ash23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
extractors and sports exhaust were going to be one of the next things. explain how i would advance cam timing?

ash23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
done :) now what :D?

oh and i removed pretty much all the dash and it is in the shed with the paint drying right now :) just another hopefully quick question.. HOW THE HELL does the top of the dash come out?!?!?! im talking about the biggest piece around the top, the only bit thaT isnt plastic..

:D

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
done :) now what :D?

oh and i removed pretty much all the dash and it is in the shed with the paint drying right now :) just another hopefully quick question.. HOW THE HELL does the top of the dash come out?!?!?! im talking about the biggest piece around the top, the only bit thaT isnt plastic..

:D

Pop out the little panel in the centre, undo the screw. Then pull like hell. (i think)

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
belt off and move it a tooth forward :p

theres a bit more to it than that. basically,
-turn engine over to see mark on crank at the top.
-use ball point pen / white marker to mark the belt above where the dot is.
-loosen timing belt tensioner
-move the cam so that the mark on the belt is 1 tooth anti clockwise of the dot on the cam (you can go two teeth but its a bit harder to get your ignition timing right)
- tighten timing belt tensioner
-loosen nut on distributor for advancing/retarding it but do not completely remove it.
-twist distributor anticlockwise as far as it will go. and tighten above nut.
- check with timing gun and adjust as necessary.

note that it may be a lot easier to remove the fan and belts and cowling but i'm sure you can figure out how to do that or organise someone to help you.