Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL RB 30 replacing GQ patrol RB30

sfrrob

Reaction score
Ok guys, here's a bit of a curly one. Would love any feedback you can give me to assist in this project.

Got a GQ with a dead RB30 carburetted engine.
I have an old VL FUEL INJECTED RB30 engine as a spare.
I need to swap engines over as the current one is dead, not worth repairing as the cost is triple what the donor engine cost ( cracked etc )
I have replaced and swapped out 4 or so engines previously but they were all a case of pull out and drop in plug in and go.
I am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I can read forums and have a few workshop manuals and know enough to get me started.

Here's the idea' as much as you are all going to crap all over it....

I would like to strip all the FUEL INJECTION off the donor VL engine which will be replacing the dead gq engine Carby setup that is currently on the engine in the GQ. Sounds crazy...it's my Dad's car and he wants to keep the car carburetted. Can't talk him out of it. Plus I can't be stuffed chasing down all the looms, computer, fuel pump etc
I am just about to lift the carburetted engine out and suss out what needs replacing on the injected engine.

So far from my limited research I know I have to:
Swap sumps over and move the dipstick.

I have bought a new timing belt, rear main seal and exhaust manifold gasket for the VL engine. Do I have to replace the timing belt crank gear? If so, why?

Can I just swap over intake manifold from the Carby over onto the injected engine?
Does the distributor from the Carby engine have to be swapped over or will the fuel injected distributor that's already installed be ok.

If it were mine I would gather all the relevant parts and install it as fuel injected' but it ain't mine.

I hope you guys understand what I am getting at.
Any info would be great.

Cheers

Rob