Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL RB30 Auto and Manual TPS. are they different?

lil_oneblue

Reaction score
Members Ride
HZ Sandman Ute, HZ GTS, VT Senator
was told that auto ones are diff to manual? is this right?

cheers
jason

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
no theyre the same, the series one rb30 was a little different from series two... series 2 had the plug on the side of the block for the turbo oil lines, thats about it

lil_oneblue

Reaction score
Members Ride
this is a message i sent from someone who says they are diff:

"hey the auto tps has wires coming out if the side this one came off a motor i wought for my vl this motor had a manual and mine was auto i blew my motor up so a just put this motor in and i only found out that they where different becuse my auto woulnt kick back that is the extra wire coming out of the tps is the auto tps u can see this is a manual one because it dosent have the wire for the kick down as it wouldnt need it because of it being a manual box"

so sounds like they might be???

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
they are different. one has 2 wires the other has 3.

lil_oneblue

Reaction score
Members Ride
ah har. which way around? manual 2 auto 3?

alsynon

Reaction score
Website
www.fords.com.au
Members Ride
VL Turbo
The VL does have 2 TPS Switches. There is a "Throttle Position Switch" and a "Throttle Valve Switch", the second is ONLY on an auto. One is an on/off switch, the other gives continuity. There will be an extra 3 wire plug hanging off the TPS on an auto.

Basically the manual TPS is a black rectangle box, on the side of the plenum. It has only one connector to it, that connects directly to the plastic body of the TPS via a plug similar to the AFM and CAS plugs.

The auto one is exactly like the manual one, but has wires coming from it as well, in a grey plastic sleeve, containing 3 wires, which end in a 3 pin grey connector, more like the oxygen sensor wiring connector.

bestyyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
So I've got a manual vl, but I've also got a auto tps. Can I try the auto tps on the manual but not plug the other plug in? Does it work or would I need the manual one. I have a little issue. Car will start but not rev past 2000 revs. I've ordered new afm
Now the other thing is the tps I had to spin the inside of it to slide onto the shaft