Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL RB30 to LS1

Discussion in 'VL Holden Commodore (1986 - 1988)' started by Fonz182, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Fonz182

Fonz182 New Member

Members Ride:
    VL Executive 5.7 2B
    hi guys. Just bought my first VL been in the family since new. Going to convert to a ls1 maybe just unsure of the legal side of things. If any one has info like able to be regoed in NSW. And any photos of a conversion would be good to. Going to run a castle main rod shop 9 inch diff with willwood all round and conversion kit. Not sure about gear box yet but it will probably be a auto.

2. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Active Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    Yeah it's legal..some dudes even getting ls3 passed.

Apparently better off slotting in v8 crossmember so you can you use easier to find/use ls conversion parts like engine mounts & extractors.

3. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Will need to be engineered if you want it to be legit. Strongly suggest you approach an engineer before you commit and start the project.

For NSW see here - http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...ndards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications.pdf

Stuff like diff ratio and valve train I wouldn't pay much attention to (stuff getting a cert for a ratio swap or different valve springs) but your choice of diff might be a pain. I'd either wait till you've done the conversion or look at something like a XR6T ute diff or something. Or even a VN-VS BW78 with a Harrop TrueTrac. Ditto for the brakes.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. Fonz182

Fonz182 New Member

Members Ride:
    VL Executive 5.7 2B
    Thanks. Just getting ideas.