Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Rough Idle, Stalls under acceleration!

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
When I had this problem I brought all new parts Including:
Fuel regulator
New fuel lines everywhere (approx $35 per metre)
Fuel filter
Oil filter
New oil
Spark plugs
Ignition leads
Air filter
Throttle body cleaner
New radiator fluid

Was a bit excessive to buy all those things. But it fixed the problem and also got a decent service out of it too :)

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Search is your friend. Been answered many many times its like we r on repeat.
Check all your intake piping after the afm all clamps are right no air leaking around rubber grommet where idle air is sucked from ( long thick rubber hose that travels the length of the intake piping) also any cracks in the constantined piece after the afm

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
Take it to a mechanic I guess. You gotta remember, these cars are what, 25 or something years old, so half the parts on there are crappy anyway so you might as well fork out a few bucks for a part now, and potentially fix the issue, or keep trying to trouble shoot, but I can't think of anything else you haven't tried

Yeah I guess thats my next option, I want to try to replace the fuel reg first, if its not that I guess its straight off to the Mechanic. Thanks for your help you did help me getting it running slightly better.

When I had this problem I brought all new parts Including:
Fuel regulator
New fuel lines everywhere (approx $35 per metre)
Fuel filter
Oil filter
New oil
Spark plugs
Ignition leads
Air filter
Throttle body cleaner
New radiator fluid

Was a bit excessive to buy all those things. But it fixed the problem and also got a decent service out of it too :)

Out of your list, the fuel reg is the only thing I haven't replaced. Its next on the list. Thanks! :)

Search is your friend. Been answered many many times its like we r on repeat.
Check all your intake piping after the afm all clamps are right no air leaking around rubber grommet where idle air is sucked from ( long thick rubber hose that travels the length of the intake piping) also any cracks in the constantined piece after the afm

Actually I did search, many times actually, and most of the results I received where: CTS, AFM and CAS. All of which I had already replaced plus many more suggestions (from other threads) before I made my own thread as I didn't want to dig old threads (can't dig old ones, can't make a new one.. can't win? lol). If you bothered to read the rest of my thread, you would find I have already checked those things, but thanks anyway. :)

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I hate the search function, it never finds what I want, half the time I just go to google and search "Vl won't start Justcommodores" and that does it for me haha

But yeah I'd be suprised if it wasn't the reg after everything you've tried

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Looking good man. Good to c ur still tinkering with her and the missus hasn't sold it on u hahah. That the catch can I gave u or did U get another to suit with the filter?

All we need to do is the 3" exhaust and she will breath better and have more poke

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Looking good man. Good to c ur still tinkering with her and the missus hasn't sold it on u hahah. That the catch can I gave u or did U get another to suit with the filter?

All we need to do is the 3" exhaust and she will breath better and have more poke

Lol you know this isn't my car thread right? But yeah I just got a fitting from supercheap, screwed it into the small hole, and clamped a pod onto that, and the big red cap end is at the bottom. After I stuffed it with steel wool of course :p

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I have the vac line for the aircon controls disconnected would this have that drastic of a problem?

Did you reconnect the vacuum hose for the A/C. This usually has an effect on how the car runs, as it is getting more air than it needs.
Any vacuum leak or hose off will effect how the car runs. Especially on low revs.

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
I took my air conditioner out and all the lines that came with it. And now I'm having problems aswell. If u havnt already read my thread, missing and spluttering. Starting to get the shits with it as everything I've done hasn't fixed anything

RB30_VK_CoNvIk

RB30DE+T
Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK Commodore RB30DE+T
um when you disconnect the AC from a RB30/20 you have to turn the AAC valve screw anticlockwise 270 degrees, dunno why but in the gregories book it just tells ya to under any disconnection of any air hoses reflects on the AAC and idle control valve, you dont have to replace anything