Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL sedan diff in VH wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
i bought a Vl sedan diff from ebay tonight mainly because it already had disk brakes on it
and I have been looking at the shock mounts on google
looks like i can weld a (6mm) plate and bolt in a grade 12 bolt for the shock and should be sweet
anyone tried this? i already have a VL wagon tailshaft
also have seen posts saying just run sedan shocks but the length will be wrong and may hit the fuel tank

will not be fitted for a while need to get more parts like a mini spool, rotors, pads, brake lines and handbrake cable. (if anyone has brake lines and handbrake cable let me know)
at the same time will do VP-VS front brakes and double diaphram booster.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Put a H series Statesman diff into a 1 tonner once.

So yes its doable, just get your measurements right, or see if someone will swap a sedan diff for a wagon.

I would use the factory mounts, that way it wont look played with and make sure your welds are good.

Scott

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
ok, i might get a complete VN-VS wagon diff aswell and get the shock mounts, brake parts and then i will have a spare 4 pinion 28 spline centre, i think i only have to get 1 axle cut down to suit the VL diff.

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
Is the diff VLT/V8 or NA Calais? You can get a 25 spline diff with disc brakes in a VL, a trap for the uninitiated. VN-VS diff is a nice cheap way out for parts.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
its a 25 spline diff, single spinner but with disks, haven't got it yet and the guy doesn't really know but thinks it s 25 spline, i don't really care either one will be fine for me

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
got the diff home and its a BW78 series 28 spline 3.45 ratio open centre, so looks like its a VL turbo diff. bonus!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
bugger pulled the diff apart its a 25 spline, the axle numbers fooled me they had 0578 cast in which i was told was a 78 series diff, the diff also has 578 cast in but its just a 25 spline single spinner
crown wheel has --75 3.45 stamped in too
so i think its a BW78 diff but has BW75 gear fitted in it from factory so least i should be able to upgrade it later with a falcon 3.45 centre and cut down VN-VS axles
no worries though it will still get a mini spool and least its got disk brakes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
Why don't u just buy a VL wagon housing and put the discs on it and use that?

pretty hard to find one thats the problem, i will get a VN-VS wagon diff and chop the mounts off that