Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

langer_and_mash

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive st/wgn
hey guys.. I bought a VL executive st/wg (auto) of a mate a couple of months ago and i noticed that after the car had been sitting there for a while (parked) and had cooled down, when you go to accelerate for the first time after starting the car it would shudder very violently (without any change in speed, as if the accelerator cuts out) and from then it wouldn't happen again until next time it was parked for more than 8 or 9 hours.. when i had my trans looked at (pressure valve needed replacing) i asked the mechanic if this is something i need to fix and he said it's most likely the handbrake or the brakes not realeasing properly coz they are cold.. and once they warm up they are ok.. and to me that sounded right because that was what was happening, they stopped doing it when the car warmed up.. but now when i drive.. it seems to do it everytime i put my foot down to take off fast or try to take off going up-hill and place the engine under some pressure.. i've just had the brakes serviced so surely it can't be them sticking still.. so i'm wondering if this is a problem with the trans slipping due to him thrashing it when he had it? i'm not sure if he did.. but the back tyres were pretty bold when i got it..

cheers

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
hmmmmm unless your trans is loose with some shagged rubbers and mounts. Like say, u put your foot down and the torque converter starts to really spin but not secured and starts to move about. I mean those things spin damn fast under there and with the torque of an engine spinning it with high power might be causing these high vibrations. Due to this being a transmission mount issue this wont effect the way the car idles and revs on its own (ie missing and spluttering).

This is my guess on the situation due to the age of the car and the bizarre things cars throw our way with your symptoms.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
check mounting rubber blocks by jacking car up and getting under with another jack, gently jack up engine and trans, looking for broken or stretched rubber blocks, typically one each side of motor and one under back of tranny