Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL stalling and backfiring on cold start

vl_2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina
Hey, i just bought another vl and it has a problem. when i go to start the car up in the morning, id let the fuel pump suck the fuel for about 10 secs or so as we do then start her up. it starts fine but when you go to give it anything it just is crap, will take a few seconds before it starts revving and backfires like crazy. its like its not getting fuel because if i plant it it will just stall. when it heats up it runs fine though, another thing is when i rev the car from the engine bay it doesnt idle properly until i rev it from inside the car which is strange. ive changed over the air flow meeter from my other car and a temprature sensor but hasnt done anything. i want to get this fixed asap because its a real pain.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
So what you're saying is that when you start her up from cold, unless you wait till' she's hot, it just dies and backfires etc? From what I know, my 83 ute does that unless I hold the manual choke out until she's hot, then it idles fine, otherwise it just stalls but never backfires,

vl_2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina
Yeah thats exactly what happens

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Next time it's cold, just wait until it's hot (around 5 - 10 mins. I have a temp gauge to make it easier to see when she's ready) and then try a few small revs etc and see if it's all normal, cos if everything runs fine, you just have to wait till' she warms up everytime you start her cold

vl_2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina
Yeah thats what seems to happen. its so different from my other VL though?

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Yeah it seems strange as mine starts and runs fine even on cold starts. Maybe get your coil packs checked? I'm stumped on this one, i've only owned my VL for a few weeks and I used to be a ricer haha so i'm learning as I go

vl_2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina
Im going to the mechanic tomrorow to swap over my distributor and cas plug as my other vl had this just put on.... so its 1 month old. also swapping the cat converter which was on it aswell. ill see how we go and update it !

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
AFM or coolant Temp sensor... i rekon afm is starting to fail.

do the swaps yourself its easy. and u will save cash. :p

could b CAS starting to fail as well... start on the cheapest first and work up along thbe lines so to speak

vl_2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL berlina
Hey since i have 2 vl's i did swap afm and cts, wasnt that so i took both cars to mechanic and swapped the dizzys over and got a new plug in it. i pick it up tomorrow so ill see if its fixed.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Try changing the air regulator, which is at the front of the inlet manifold. It is supposed to help your engine run better when cold. It could even be the hose from the air regulator to the plenum chamber blocked with crap.