Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl starter motor problem

1RUFVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 6
just put in a recond starter motor working (pre tested) in to my vl. had to jump start car with jump pack everything all well had power then went to crank the car over and the stater motor crankd but then made a sparking sound and car totally died!???? im sure its just a fuse or something but just thought i would ask for fast help due to not much time and never happend to me b4... thanks and if anyone likes im thinkn of selling...

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
did u wire it up correctly making sure the possitive lead is only on the positive contact on starter and not earthing out to body. maybe the starter shat itself(Possible)
check all connetions are tight

1RUFVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 6
thanks for the help *detox*.. turnd out it was the fuse, now i have power n all that, but still now starter motor wont crank.. just makes a knocking sound... everythings hookd up right to ....??????....

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
possibly before the fuse went it may have done some damage to the starter motor as well. i know thats what fuses are for to prevent damage. unless a higher amp fuse was used by mistake and has caused damage to starter.
Knocking sound .....?
Does it sound like the nut is getting thrown onto the fly wheel (like a "click" sound (solenoid working) but its not turning over?
I know if a car has been sitting a while and the starter is not working/seized, i have gotten a few going just by smacking it with a spanner (Dont Be Shy Belt it)
Good luck let us know