Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl starting problem

Kirah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl commodore
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out, I have a 1987 vl commodore which I've just purchased, the car hasn't run for probable about 5 years, I've changed the oil, spark plugs, filters (not fuel filter), coolant necessary things like this. put a new battery in it and some fuel went to start cranks over but won't fire. when I spray engine start in air intake it fires and then dies about 5 seconds after starting.

I can't here fuel pump prime when I first turn the key so don't know if it is this and cars not getting fuel to start which it sounds like.
ive checked relays and fuses they are all ok.
also the previous owner has taken out the immobiliser and all the wiring so I don't know if this could be affecting it but I thought if this was the problem it would not even crank?

not sure if immobiliser affects the power of fuel pump or if fuel pump is just shot ?

any suggestions would be a great help, cheers in advance :)

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Assuming is a Nissan 6Cyl

Sounds like -
  1. Fuel, is there any in it ?
  2. Fuel pump, not operating
  3. Fuel Pressure Switch,
  4. Fuel pump relay, not allowing the supply to the fuel pump.
  5. Check to see if it has a hidden Kill Switch, so the low lives were not able to steal the car.
I can remember when you turn the ignition switch to on,
the fuel pump would operate for 5 seconds to pressurise the fuel rail.

The first thing I would do it, disconnect the fuel line where it connects to the fuel rail, and place the hose in a container,
and then switch the ignition to on, and see if the pump is working.
If not, its a process of elimination, as per items above.

In saying that, locate the fuel pump plug, and check to see if there power getting to that end of the loom,
If not, trace the cable back to the fuse box,
If you have 12 volts there for approx. 5 seconds, it sounds like the pump has failed/seized.
I am not sure if its a internal, or external pump, as I never had to replace a fuel pump on either of our VL's.
[If it is internal, drain the tank, and replace the pump]

We had 2 x 1987 VL Wagons, and both were great cars, never missed a beat, and very economical for a straight 6,
I remember travelling from Melbourne to Merimbula on 1 take of fuel, and the fuel light came on as I was driving over the bridge as you head into Merimbula, after a few calculations, it was as economical as a 4cyl.
The only problem I had was the head gasket went at approx. 143,000 k's,
Which is very common for the Nissan motors in the commodores, being a aluminium head,
because the top of radiator was lower that the top of the motor, so they were subject to air pockets being trapped in the top of the head, so it could get a we bit to hot.

Last edited: