Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl temp gauge

frankyj54

Reaction score
he how far does your temp gauge get up too? mine gets up to 3/4 and sits there is this normal if not what whould be wrong. Theres no leaks as it been checked .

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
you can get a cooking thermometer and remove the radiator cap, be VERY careful, and put it in, this should give you an accurate reading

some gauge needles come lose and move around as the car goes around corners, due to the needle coming loose

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
measure the temp like harry3 said to check if the guage is correct. they have a 77 degree thermostat. if the guage turns out to be right i would consider changing the thermostat and coolant, you might have a thermostat thats stuck shut or something thats making it run hot.

use my troubleshooting/maintenence write up for instructions how to do these things if you aren't sure. let us know how you get on

frankyj54

Reaction score
gday i think it might be my water pump as the water is just getting dumped out off the water overflow hose. And i did a inspection underneath and its seems to have a small leak. Let u know when i pull it off in a couple off weeks. Do u think its worth getting the timing belt donen as well.?

cheers

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
gday i think it might be my water pump as the water is just getting dumped out off the water overflow hose. And i did a inspection underneath and its seems to have a small leak. Let u know when i pull it off in a couple off weeks. Do u think its worth getting the timing belt donen as well.?

cheers

water is getting dumped out of what overflow, the hose coming from the overflow bottle? if so check the hoses aren't hooked up the wrong way, water shouldn't come out of there unless you have overfilled it.

if you are doing the water pump you may as well do the timing belt while you are there.

have you bled the system? that can cause overheating problems and is a common problem

Henerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL 5spd
Mine always sits just under 2nd bar normal driving.
If I hold the gears out longer in between shifts (4-5Krpm), the temp gauge reaches 2nd bar.

I've never seen it go any higher than 2nd bar..