Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vl transmission fluid

VL Jordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi all. Im new to the forum and have my first contribution (in this case question). I checked my VL transmission fliud and its too high. How do I reduce the level?

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
How much over is it. How are you checking it? Meaning, do you have trans fluid at operating temp and do you have car running and in park/neutral on flat ground?

VL Jordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Thanks for your offer to help. The fluid reads about twice as high as the full mark. ie if it was half the level it would be on the full mark. the car is on level ground and was last driven about 40mins ago. the oil is not hot but luke warm

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
bloke, you need to have the car running and in p or n when you check it. the level goes down when the oil pump in the trans fills all the gallerys and the valvebody.

try checking it again in the park or neutral position and see how you go.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Also, another peice of advice I can give you is to go and buy yourself a repair & service manual such as Gregory's/Haynes from Repco, Supercheap, Autobarn etc. I have owned and raced VL's for the last 15 years and I can't remember how many times that the service manual has come in handy for either a torque setting, or how much oil the sump takes, or how to check trans fluid etc etc.

It has so much information that can save you money and time.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
if the level is too high after being correctly checked, its easy to remove 1 of the fluid hoses to the trans cooler at the radiator and with engine idling, pump some out
the auto trans sump has no drain plug
many trans problems are caused by a too high fluid level, so be careful

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
when removing fluid as above has mentioned, remove the top trans hose from the radiator place it in a coke bottle or similar (so you can measure how much you have removed, judging from your dsescription I would suggest removing approx' 1ltr), it pumps out quiet quickly, and you should have someone start the car while you monitor how much comes out , then have them stop the engine. also you should have some degreaser and a hose ready for the clean up it can get a bit messy.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Jatsvl u r always on the money... must be all the beers u neck keeping the gray matter active.

Yeah as said man car running level ground and neutral. torque converter takes a bit, as well as valvebody
check the color and smell of the fluid as well if its dark or it smells (burning) replace oil and filter