Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Tune/Chip Options

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hey all, my mate wants to get a memcal for his VL but doesnt know what his best option is...but I dont think he wants to spend much either.

He has an NA VL straight 6, with pacemaker extractor and straight through 2.5 zorst, pod filter and a few other little things... nothing big.

So is it worth getting a Powerchip or Unichip? What prices are they and what other good options are there?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i have a powerchip in mine and i found a reasonable difference, nothing spectacular, and they cost $300-$400. a unichip is the best but are $1200 and only good if you have heaps of mods like s/chargers etc, but for that money you can buy a complete aftermarket ecu like haltech, wolf3d, ems, autronic, etc etc which give heaps better options.

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
powerchip are 290 for the bronze one, or 490 for the gold spec that only gives you 3kw more than the bronze. so go bronze i reckon, 10kw gain for $290 is pretty good i think. i've been looking at these but don't have the cash right now.

if he doesn't want to spend anything then he can advance the timing to 20 degrees BTDC, good gain just always run premium to stop pinging. this is basically what the chip does anyway, only on a more optimised level. and the mixtures are remapped too. a guy at powerchip told me that if you advance the timing like i have done then the bronze chip won't be much better than that, but i would just like to get one anyway cos dizzy spinnin is a bit pov lol

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
there are 4 powerchip levels. bronze, silver, gold, and gold class 2. bronze is for no mods running standard fuel, silver is for the mods you're mate has and run standard fuel, gold is for the same mods but to run on premium, and gold 2 is for the same mods but run on optimax.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
bangers said:
there are 4 powerchip levels. bronze, silver, gold, and gold class 2. bronze is for no mods running standard fuel, silver is for the mods you're mate has and run standard fuel, gold is for the same mods but to run on premium, and gold 2 is for the same mods but run on optimax.

optimax... you mean 98 octane? Like BP Ultimate too?

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
bangers said:

even the bronze needs premium because they advance the ignition timing, and there is no silver chip for the vl. the gold you need premium and the gold 98 you need 98 octane always. its all on their site www.powerchipgroup.com

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
yes all the time, otherwise it will ping and damage the engine. the timing is where it is from factory so it doesn't ping with regular unleaded, but if you advance it you need the extra octane of PULP to stop pinging. powerchip say to always use premium with their chips.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
come on VL guys! get with the times, make your own and stick it to the man :D

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
lol i was waiting for that greenfoam. i've got all the gear (bin files, tunerpro etc) but i've been tied up with uni so haven't had a chance to play with it. plus i don't really know exactly what i'm doing in relation to how it will affect longevity, driveablility, power etc. if you want to share your knowledge my ears (or eyes in this case) are open