Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL turbo conversion

VSO.38

JCCCQ Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 S2 VS Acclaim
Hey guys, I've got a Vl motor and I'm considering pulling the motor down it to check its condition and rebuilding it with the intensions of putting a turbo on it, can the stock N/A bottom end be used with a turbo or do I need to rebuild the bottom end with something a little stronger???.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, TJ

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
im in the same boat mate and from what ive been told the crank should be fine! i think the only diference betwen the vl turbo crank and the n/a crank is that the turbo has bigger counter balance bearings or something like that (dont quote me not 100% sure) but as for strength just get it balanced and nitrided for extra strength and you might want to put a new set of pistons on it to drop the compresion and improve strenght hope this helps mate good luck!

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
good set of forged pistons to suite, drop the compression and the bottem end is pretty much ready to go if u just want to run a mild sorta setup :)

Dose Pipe

Reaction score
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
the only differnces between an n/a and turbo motor is, compression,cam,oil pump, inlet manifold, ecu, injectors and the fact it has a turbo on it :)

edgeyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive V8
If your pulling it down you may as well put some good gear into it.The RB30 block is good for around 700 HP. How far you take the rest of the engine is up to your wallet.

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Stock compression rb30 will take about 9psi before you get detonation, with a T3/4 turbo and massive front mount controlled with a wolf3d... lowering the compression is the go, getting a stocker rb30et exhaust manifold and aftermarket turbo with VLt ecu and turbo injectors. You can turbo those engines for very cheap.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
make sure ya use the NA inlet manifold. they flow better than the turbo ones. the turbo ones are of an rb20det as far as i know. they have very un even runners. where the NA manifolds are fairly even

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
also i did read something about how NA motors don't have the oil feed there. there was something said about series 2 motors have the oil feed there but blocked off. if not just tap into your oil switch. not 100% sure on this but i thought i would let you know anyway, incase it is true..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've read that the rod bolts are different (and the pistons for the lower compression) apart from that they are the same. Like Defa is saying the series 2 VL came allready tapped and ready to go

pr0n

It's A Me ' MARIO '
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY II S V6
what does NA mean?