Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Turbo - help

VL-EXEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
ok i need some help or if someone can recomend a few threads for me to read up on...

Firstly i have a VL shell, it was originaly turbo from factory, the motor was removed quite some time ago (before it got in my hands) The MX7 box and 28 spline Diff are still in the car, im looking for an original A8 motor to put in it, however im unsure where to start or what too look for...

What i think:
Im going to try to find a original vl turbo motor in stock condition so i can re-build it, but what else will i need and what should i look for when checking out a motor... ive done a bit of searching and cant find what im looking for

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
86 VLCT/02 VY SV8
Dont really have to look for a whole lot man if your going to rebuild it. just check the engine number to make sure its a turbo motor. should end with A8 non turbo motors end with A6. look around on calaisturbo.com.au there is always motors for sale on there. thats where i got my complete motor from.

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
same as nackers said i have alot of vlt stuff laying around from a couple of old vl turbos

VL-EXEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
thanks for the advice, i knew to check the A8, but what about the turbo? something about brown top injectors? what about computer etc etc

Nackers, id prefer to build my own i dont like the idea of buying someone elses build up

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
brown top injectors are vlt injectors.

3ta is a vl turbo auto ecu.

to check turbo grab the front wheel in turbo with two fingers on the nut and wigle it side to side.it shouldnt have to much play.and also pull it back and forward if it has movment there walk away lol

VL-EXEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
thanks, am i better off buying the above all at once or should i buy the injectors and ecu if i find them now for a good price )and what would a good price be)

Also with the ecu its to suit a manual, im not 100% sure but one to suit manual should read 3tm? and the 3ta can be used for manual or auto but the 3tm can only be used for manual?

anything else i will need specificaly off a turbo for parts (i will be usiing a VL SL NA for parts)

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8
Well ok then if it doesn't sell i will be using it myself i have already started to hide the wiring loom on it, so its getting closer for me to use if it doesnt go, if it does well i will be dropping a 5litre in

And pms-247

if you would like to pm me and have a chat ireckon we could work something out for frieght etc

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
well if your going ahead with a turbo conversion i have a genuine a8motor with a reco head and full turbo,injectors ecu...

pm me if interested