Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL turbo or supercharge

SLEEPN-VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL calais
i have a vl calais, RB30 (manual obviously) and im looking for some recommendations on superchargers or turbos as well as what ill need to do so and the problems i should look out for.

thanks

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
vl turbos are problems.touch wood mine is ok probably cause its stock.

what are your goals?
street or strip or both?

if you want just a street-er and on a budget just do the standard turbo conversion with maybe a hi flow turbo,fmic,3inch.
the mf5 will be ok for lower powered turbo vl's.always run it on 98oct and keep the services up.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Would not bother supercharging it. There has been so much turbo based development on the RB30, and so little on the supercharger side of things.

There are also many many more proven turbo setups than supercharged ones.

the local

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT 50th anniversary
turbo it iv spent much time around 31,s... the turbo always allows for more power if need be... not to mention it sounds weird could you honestly tell a wog you supercharged your VL ?

SLEEPN-VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL calais
i plan on taking it on track and strip but its going to be my daily,its already cammed and has some head work but id imagine it has too much compression to turbo as it is... recommendations for a turbo setup and should i get a new head as ive been advised not to turbo with the current one due to far to much compression and run the risk of blowing it if so

Thanks.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Do both, electronic clutch the sc so it cuts out when the turbo kicks in, instant boost and with no lag

The head isn't the problem when it comes to compression on a rb30, they only difference between a na head and turbo head is the cam.
The pistons are the thing to change to mod the compression ratio or add a decompression plate but then you need 2 head gaskets....

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
unless he has had the head shaved etc already?

you should be ok with a good tune done.my old n/a convert made 326rwkw on 18 psi and ran for years.

SLEEPN-VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL calais
the head has been shaved quite a bit and what setup did you have nasty or what would you recommend for the sc and turbo jxw