Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL Two Door Convertible

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Car: 1986 VL Berlina, two door convertible
  • Engine: RB30E
  • Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic (Jatco)
  • Mechanicals: stock (including drum brake rear)
  • Engine mods: nil
  • Body mods: missing a couple of doors
  • Chassis mods: extensive strengthening of mono coupe
  • Interior mods: Walkinshaw themed

IMG_7255b.jpg

The 1986 Berlina was originally customised in 1989 for one of the members of the Bridgestone Holden Precision Driving Team to do their parade lap after their driving demonstration. The car uses Opel Monza (longer) doors and quarter panels as well as being fitted with an electric hydraulic retracting soft top.

Seen here (below) with the original colour and the red interior with the Team doing a lap. The car travelled the country (on the back of a truck) with the Team while they used VL Commodores for their demonstration. There was hope it would become a prototype for a two door convertible option to be sold through Holden (HDT?) Dealers as the Team had a close association with Holden.

Unfortunately, the cost of the conversion was $30k, and back in 1989 that was a lot of money and the plans were shelved. As a result it remains the only example of the VL Convertible with plans for small scale production.

YJQG0766.JPG

In 1990 the car was sold to a family in NSW who used it as a daily driver. As their sons grew up, the elder one bought a VL Walkinshaw, which was subsequently stolen and stripped (absolute sacrilege!). Salvaged from the wreck was the car's aero bonnet scoop. The son bought another VL Walkinshaw and could see a great opportunity in using the VL Convertible as part of a wedding car business with his Walkinshaw.

The car was repainted Panorama Silver, VL Calais lights added, and the interior was re-done in Walkinshaw grey. The aero bonnet scoop was added to finish off the car. It then had a new lease on life taking brides to their nuptials, along with the rest of the bridesmaids in one or two VL Walkinshaws. It was then also used as the escape car for the new couple from the wedding reception.

287452x640y480.jpg

With the son selling his VL Walkinshaw, and the owner not getting the car out and about enough, it was put up for sale.

I stumbled upon the ad for this car in April 2023 whilst looking, ironically, for an Opel Monza in Australia to convert to a VLT Coupe. The Car Sales ad has since been removed but there's a thread in here Oddball VL Convertible for sale, which I didn't see until after I bought the car.

The car drives beautifully on flat roads and hangs on really well around bends and corners. Go over a significant bump and you can see that no matter how much strengthening they did, you can tell it's mono coupe minus its roof. However, having driven other conversions, it is by far the stiffest I have driven. It will never be a track car or a drag car, it's for driving and enjoying. (Read: mid-life crisis!)

My plans are to keep it as a period piece. So any modifications will be aligned with it being the official prototype, living in a parallel universe with the car going into small scale production through out the late 1980s.

Upgrade plans:
  • Hood scoop delete - I respect it is part of the car's legacy but the car is not a Group A Walkinshaw tribute (the irony of an aero scoop on this car is not lost on me).
  • Brakes - front finned V8 calipers and bigger rotors, rear discs (currently drum), double diaphragm booster, with 1" master cylinder.
  • Steering Wheel - Momo period piece
  • Strut brace - will try this to see if it stiffens the car a bit
  • Engine - nothing in the short term, but there are many options in that parallel universe

Note 1: The same company did build a gold VH (or VK) convertible as well but it did not have the automatic retracting soft top.
Note 2: There exists a Holden built red VL Convertible Concept car.

Last edited:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
This is an extremely unique car and congratulations again for purchasing this 1 of a kind car... Also, thanks for linking in my thread on this car... At the time of the thread being made, I was looking at VL prices and stumbled across your car, and couldn't believe what I was seeing!

P.S: Making this into a VL Turbo would be really cool...