Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL V8 Commodores (1988) – fitted with 5ltr FISA engines

heathgrae

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL V8 COMMODORE 1988 MODEL
(Information taken from Magazine – Holden in Australia –Feb/08 – Brock Commodores)
A new homologated Holden was produced to comply with FISA (the world governing body of Motor sport) as the standard car on which Holden’s Group A racing car could be based. 500 examples were built and sold for racing purposes.
As well as these 500 Group A Commodores fitted with homologated engines, another 500 were required to be built and sold in other model Commodores to satisfy the FISA 1000-cars-sold rule.
So Commodores and Calais were fitted with these engines and their owners didn’t even know it!

Can anyone shed some light on this please? Are there any identifying marks etc, to establish the above? – eg: engine numbers etc.?

NewVLT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL Turbo, VL Exec Turbo & Calais Turbo Wagons
Walkinshaws

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
as far as some1 has told me they are also known as the LV2 engine wich is the high compression engine.... dunno if its bull sht or not all i know is my wagon has the lv2 engine and i have the build sheet to prove it :D but for some reason i dought it that its the engine u are talking about cause im preety sure the lv2 engines are the ones found in the vl ss and other high proformance vls other than the walky

NewVLT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL Turbo, VL Exec Turbo & Calais Turbo Wagons
All VL V8's (including the HDT maroon Group A's) had the engine code LV2 and all are 4.9 litre high compression.
The only exception is the Walkinshaw which had the engine code LB9.