Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL V8 Diff options! Help! :p

Stottyz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais V8, Vz Executive
Hey everyone!

Just signed up to this Forum today, thought since i have two Commodores it would probably be a good idea...
Early this year i brought a Factory VL V8 Calais which has had a 304 transplant, im chasing a Lsd Diff as the current one is pretty flogged out!, Car is back home in Nz and im finding it a bit of a challenge to find a replacement .... any wise ideas centers that fit from other vehicles? Factory v8 vl 28 spline?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
just find a centre from any LSD BW78 diff from VL to VS commodore or XE to BA Falcon
should be plenty in AUS you will just have to get it home, without gears fitted they will fit in your suitcase
or get your one rebuilt

EFI304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais
LSD 's are good but they do wearout especially if the car cops a flogging. Another option is a locker. I have one in mine and it seems ok. Not harsh to drive at all. Look up "4wd systems" in south aus . They do a "lokka lockright " for around $600 from memory. First designed for 4wd's but now making them for Borgwarners and 9 inches. New crown wheel and opinion cost me about $300. And around $200 or so for new bearings. And yes, the stock calais diff is 28 spline 3.08 ratio single wheeler.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
LSD 's are good but they do wearout especially if the car cops a flogging. Another option is a locker. I have one in mine and it seems ok. Not harsh to drive at all. Look up "4wd systems" in south aus . They do a "lokka lockright " for around $600 from memory. First designed for 4wd's but now making them for Borgwarners and 9 inches. New crown wheel and opinion cost me about $300. And around $200 or so for new bearings. And yes, the stock calais diff is 28 spline 3.08 ratio single wheeler.
unless otherwise optioned with lsd in exec,berlina and calais

immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
IF your in Auckland take to Steelie Gears In Otahuhu. He'll sort it out, better then new :)