Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl Wagon Project

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Thought i'd chuck a thread up on this, yes i no it's a wagon but that's me a true wagon nut lol. This is the 3rd one i currently own.....
There's a bit of a funny story with this, a guy bought it a couple of years ago to put in the demo derby. There was a wiring fault at the coil which is how he came to own it, he got that sorted but through circumstances wasn't able to enter it in the derby luckily. I run a wanted add on an auction site over her for these to wreck for bits for my vc project so he got in contact, $300 & it's your's so i thought about it & thought why not. Bought it sight unseen, grabbed a trailer & shot out in the sticks to where it had been under a tree for 2 years. Wished i took some photos of it cause it was that filthy you couldn't even see out the windows on it, chucked it on the trailer & headed home. Stopped & got some gas for it on the way, so got home through a battery in it & away it went mint as.
Got it up the drive & even though the plan was to wreck it it looked that bad i had to wash it & it looked shocking lol - funny thing was under all the crap & spider webs etc was a real clean tidy rust free wagon. So that through a spanner in the works, thought about it but no way i could wreck it so this has turned into project number 2. So at pres i'm cleaning it up & converting it to a 2 seater, will be loosing the outer rear door handles & cleaning up the tailgate as well. Also converting it back to a Vk windscreen & rubber to get rid of the Vl water trap in the front, will update the pics as i go. Just making a template for the ply floor out of carboard at pres.......

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Whats ur other plans for mods? U picked up a gem for 300

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Whats ur other plans for mods? U picked up a gem for 300

Was definitely a good score that's for sure......
As for other plans i've been putting some thought into that. Will be getting limo tints for sure, picked up some old school 14x7 wide vc rims i might use on it for something different.
With the back of it i'll be building cabinets down both sides & dark stain it all & chuck a ok sound system in it, will probably paint the whole wagon in the end as well. No dought there'll be more i decide to do as i go......

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Getting a bit done today - starting on the new tailgate for this. Will be welding up the window squirter hole & window wiper hole to clean up the rear, going to be putting a Vc rear window & rubber in it for the same reason i'm doing the front. Cut the old one out before which took me a good 2 hours - what a stubborn witch that was lol.
Quite a good tailgate this one, only has a few little pinholes in the one spot which will be easy to weld up. I'll rust protect the inside of it once it's sorted. Worst part of this is getting the old rubber off now, the rests a piece of cake. Do this then the rear door handles are going missing :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Well made a start on this tailgate, top squirter holes welded up, was a dent up there so pulled that out as best i could 1st. Put a skim coat over it & is coming up good, will finish that tomorrow & one highspot in the bottom corner to sort. Just got to take the tailgate handle off & weld up the wiper hole next then sand the hole tailgate back, was just going to give it a light sand but the clears pretty dicey so will get a good sand back.
Still some of that rubber to get off round the window surround to, got about half off already & what a witch of a job that is lol....

Last edited:

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Getting a bit more done, tailgates close to all sanded back. Welded up the wiper hole, just put a smear of newtech over that. Once that dries will give it a skim of bog & fix a couple of dents & she'll be ready for primer, not the warmest today so it's going to take a while. Wish spring would hurry up i no that much......

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Got the tailgate almost finished today, just needs blocked back then shes sorted. Will just mist coat it black for now, priced getting a %20 tint on the tailgate window today to so will get that done soon. I've got no idea on colour for this yet.....

BrokWoods

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SV6 Ute
Nice find !!!! Any updates? VL Calais headlights?

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Cheers..... Was a good score for sure, have finished the tailgate at pres.
If i ever get the chance to get a Calais front i would but no plans on that at this stage - next mission is taking out the back door handles & weld them up. Hope to get onto that by the weekend, will get a pic of the finished tailgate tomorrow & chuck it up:thumbsup:

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
Finished Tailgate pic......

Haven't got onto the doors yet thanks to the weather, this one will be getting done in the driveway so it makes it interesting at times lol. Busy stripping the last of a Vk parts wagon at pres so once that's gone i'll have more time for this & the Vc......
Starting to get all the bit's i need to get this on the road though, bought some new rack ends last week. Scored a tidy L/F headlight & alternator in the weekend just hope spring settles in soon so can get onto these......