Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl won't start. Sorry for another thread on this.

ian94mt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina Wagon RB30
Hey I got a new rb30e in my 87 vl. Started it when I first dropped it in and it had spark and fuel.

Now that its fully hooked up it won't start just cranks for ages and doesn't kick in. I put in a new battery and fresh 98 octane. Undid a fuel hose and it pissed out everywhere so don't think that's the problem unless maybe the injectors.

I need someone to tell me how to check for spark as my mate did it last time and I don't know up to. I also tried to follow some instructions to run the diagnostics on my car but couldn't get it to show up error codes or the all is good code. So can someone please tell me how to do the.

Sorry for the repost on this topic but in all the other ones people just say stuff like check the spark and no details on how to. Any ideas what could be wrong? Cheers

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
To check for spark, first take the plug off your dizzy cap that is smack in the middle, that's the coil one. Put the end of the coil lead (the part you just took off the dizzy) and rest it against the bracket near the front of the engine (You'll see it, it has a squarish hole in the middle). Once your plug is rested on that, crank the engine and sparks should zap between the plug and the metal bracket.

That rules out a coil pack issue since you're getting spark from the coil pack. Next is the leads, so plug the coil plug back into the middle of the dizzy cap.

Remove lead number 1 from your dizzy, and put it in the same bracket as you did for the coil lead, and do the same thing. When you crank it, it should spark every so often, which means you're getting spark to your leads. Plug lead 1 back into the dizzy.

Next, take your plug off of spark plug number 1, and stick a screw driver in it, and rest it in that bracket, but make sure there's a 2 - 3mm gap between the metal bracket and the screw driver, crank the engine and sparks should zap between the screwdriver and the bracket. That rules out spark to your spark plugs.

The final test, if you really want to, is take out spark plug number 1, and plug it into lead number 1 and when you crank the engine, the spark plug should spark, which 100% rules out a spark problem.

To test the ECU, turn the little screw on the back of the ECU anti clockwise (I think, it's written on there) to change the ECU to diagnostic mode, and then count the flashes. From memory it's red = 10, green = 1, so red red green would be code 21, etc.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
but depends how much spark you actually have.ive had coils that put out a faint spark but not enough though