Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL

maxpaterson

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore Berlina 2.0
Does anyone know the paint code for the red rocket cover

And some advice for swapping a rb30e+t into my factory manual 2.0 Vl

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
2.0 VL?

VHT Wrinkle red should do what you want.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
They did some weird stuff for New Zealand exports. They used the RB20E for the base model.

I drove a Starfire 1.9L VK Commodore when in NZ many years ago.

In Aus, the RB30ET had bigger brakes, disc brake rear, different gearbox, flywheel and clutch compared to the RB30E manual.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
They did some weird stuff for New Zealand exports. They used the RB20E for the base model.

I drove a Starfire 1.9L VK Commodore when in NZ many years ago.

In Aus, the RB30ET had bigger brakes, disc brake rear, different gearbox, flywheel and clutch compared to the RB30E manual.

I remember back in the early 80s, my mum got a courtesy car from a panel shop when she smashed her hk monaro and it was a vc or vh with the starfire 4cyl.

I thought it stopped when that experiment didn't work. Had no idea that they continued putting 4cyl engines into commodores for export to NZ.

maxpaterson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2.0 VL?

VHT Wrinkle red should do what you want.
Yep it’s a 1987 Berlina 2.0 it a complete factory car at the moment with nothing changed or damaged it’s also got original paint it good condition it’s the exact same as it was bought brand new even down to the original back number plate plastic and keys and key ring

maxpaterson

Reaction score
Members Ride
But I’m after that Vl dose that you find in aus and don’t see it in New Zealand very often you also don’t see many vls around here anymore but I’m wondering if you know what the best turbo is to run and exhaust and I was thinking of just using the original manifold and turbo and putting a dose pipe on

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’d hazard a guess that Holden engineered the RB30DET with better brakes and driveline and probably cooling system for a reason. Also wouldn’t surprise me is there were some chassis strengthening also done…

So why not start your upgrade process from the perspective of upgrading the body, brakes, driveline and cooling in preparation to dropping in a more powerful turbo engine?

After all, on public roads, it’s better to be able to stop quickly than simply take off quickly and find the 4 cylinders brakes are woefully inadequate. You don’t want to find yourself in the following situation after spending lots of $ ;)

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I’d hazard a guess that Holden engineered the RB30DET with better brakes and driveline and probably cooling system for a reason. Also wouldn’t surprise me is there were some chassis strengthening also done…
Mighr be a typo, but no RB30DET, only RB30ET was available in the VL.

Same chassis for 3 litre, turbo and V8. Not sure of they did anything different for NZ export 2 litre ?

Also recommend upgrading the brakes first. It would be hard to find original VL turbo brakes so would go with something more available like VE ??

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Pretty sure the 2.0L VL was a Nissan 6 cylinder (rb20 not the starfire) I had a 2.0 VL station wagon with manual gearbox it was a bargain at the time ($600 with wof). Dont know enough about whether the same box would mount to an rb30 (Im thinking it probably would). Not sure the brakes would have been any different for the rb30 VL's although id say its probably likely the turbo's had upgrades. They sold VL 3.L factory turbos in NZ neighbour had one . Starfires went into up to vh over here , maybe vk but i havent seen one .

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Mighr be a typo, but no RB30DET, only RB30ET was available in the VL.
Yes my error.

Seems the 114Kw RB30E and 150Kw RB30ET were both single cam heads, the T variant with single turbo.… For some reason I wrongly remembered a twin cam head in the VL :rolleyes: