Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vlct or vq statesman?

GLDNVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VQ STATESMAN 5.0
^^ Yeah same same man, I had a VL, had 262,000 K's, and absoluty loved getting flogged! :D

GLD-086

Reaction score
HoZy said:
think of it this way.....

VLCT motor, 200k on the clock an they start to go nasty realistically...

GM 304ci in the VQ, there good for 600k

My bro's 304 is up to 450k an not 1 rattle, it's a pure dream.....

Cheers
MaT

Although not a turbo, my RB30 has almost 300,000ks and it still drives very smooth.

It's had it's fair share of problems though. (Owner before me, used to flog the crap out of it)

I baby it, when I'm driving. It is possible for an RB30, to still be working well after 200,000ks. Just depends on the life it's had, I guess.

Also RB30s are designed, to last well over 400,000ks and they're not too bad, if some of the VLT boys, running 600-700hp, are using stock bottom ends.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The RB30's are good up to 400,000 thats their peak, so 200,000 is halfway through its life.

Mines done 230,000 and has a cam seal leak. Thats all thats wrong. Nothing else to fault it on. Starts first time every time, idles nice, drives smooth....

Theres nothing wrong with the VL Calais, or the VL. Simply because of the "image" that is around them everybody seems to hate them. Personally i love my VL, they are a very fun car to drive, and you dont need your seat all the way back to enjoy it....

white vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
yea thinkin the statesman is the way to go. can always get the vlct power with a turbo on the v8. or just out of the v8 alone.

Stampede

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo
my advice is Go for a ride in both b4 you decide

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Hmmm... I've been in a VLCT... and a VR 5L so I guess I can offer some idea

The Statesman will cost you heaps in fuel to run out of the 2

and Turbo's suck when running off boost.

Why are your options limited to these 2 models ?

How about a VR 5 L Calais ?

How much are you gonna spend ?

stumps5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Get the vq. i have one with 295km's and still goes very hard with the only mods being cai kandn and a 185 chip. Luxury, speed and economical to a certain extent. for those saying it will cost alot to drive i get average 11L/100km and i do by no means drive carfully all the time. Great all round car.

Go the Vq

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
the VQ looks like its been backed into a wall. VLCT have a sleeker look and will blow a VQ away. I know the VL was meant to last 400k km but i know people who have hit 800k km and still haven't replaced the head gasket let alone anything else of real importance. VQs look alright as long as you're not standing behind it.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
bangers said:
i know people who have hit 800k km and still haven't replaced the head gasket let alone anything else of real importance.

are you talking about a normal vl or the vlt? if it's a vlt your refering to then i'd say your pulling sh!t outta your ass, come to think of it im yet to see any FI car that has got past 300K??