Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VLsteering shaft sliding issue

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
Hello all. This is my first post. I have combed the net trying to solve this issue. Last year I bought a 5L VL Calais 333 in Eucumbene blue. I am in the process of the restoration.
This issue I have (among many) is that the steering shaft slides back and forth in the steering column. It had an aftermarket steering wheel and autotecnia boss kit. The day I bought it it was hanging loose out of the column, floppy like, but all connected.
I have replaced the upper bearing kit, but when i place the bearing back in the housing, the whole shaft can the slide out about two inches. Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix.
Thanks

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Shaft may have collapsed or damaged somehow....collapsible steering shaft

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
Yeh okay, but I forgot to say earlier that it all still works fine, the car is perfectly drivable, just that the shaft slides in and out, with some effort I must add. It is tight, not like you can pull it out with your baby finger. There is no clicking or grinding or anything. Would it still work like this if it has collapsed. If it has collapsed, what part needs replacing, Thanks.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Never pulled commodore one apart but if it is same as most there is a pin in between the shafts in middle that is supposed to break in accident so shaft slides into itself instead of spearing driver...still works just means whole unit it is meant to be replaced.

petergouraros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Bang on Amigo. You nailed it. Issue is now fixed.
Hey mate,

my VK is doing the exact same thing and I’ve been told the shaft might be collapsed. Can I ask how did you fix it? I’ve tried a few columns-off E-bay and new bearing kits with no luck.

many advice would be appreciated

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hey mate,

my VK is doing the exact same thing and I’ve been told the shaft might be collapsed. Can I ask how did you fix it? I’ve tried a few columns-off E-bay and new bearing kits with no luck.

many advice would be appreciated

He hasn't been on since August 2021, so mightn't answer you

VLmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 333
He hasn't been on since August 2021, so mightn't answer you
Gees, August was only 3 months ago!! :) you don't write a comment or a post, and people think you have disappeared off the planet:):). I am not really into social media, I am actually not on anything but this forum.
The steering column collapses when the nylon sheer pin snaps, usually caused by the driver slamming into it - result of a nose to tail.
Anyway, legally they are a throw away, is my understanding. New bearings , what ever isn't going to fix it. You can replace the sheer pin, but is very dodgy.
I just got a replacement shift, $60, installed, problem fixed. It is not a hard job.
Cheers.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Gees, August was only 3 months ago!! :) you don't write a comment or a post, and people think you have disappeared off the planet:):). I am not really into social media, I am actually not on anything but this forum.
The steering column collapses when the nylon sheer pin snaps, usually caused by the driver slamming into it - result of a nose to tail.
Anyway, legally they are a throw away, is my understanding. New bearings , what ever isn't going to fix it. You can replace the sheer pin, but is very dodgy.
I just got a replacement shift, $60, installed, problem fixed. It is not a hard job.
Cheers.

Surprising number of people get on here, post bugger all, and aren't seen again....Then someone else gets on, drags up the old post hoping for a reply from the op and never do because they just disappear, without posting up the solution