Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 18's power steering/wheel aligment

vnsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Manual
Hey guys I'm forever having issues with my wheel alignments and power steering leaks and whines. I have replaced the rack twice now, both times not leaking in donor car and Then leaking in mine. The power steering whines alot sometimes, and looses heaps of fluid lately. It appears to be coming from the top of the rack where the steering coloumn attaches. I also have a major issue of my wheel alignment always coming out on one side! Which is wearing my tyres on the edges, making the car pull to the left (left side comes out of alignement).

I have a vn sedan with 18 inch wh grange wheels with 235/40/18.

Does anyone else have these issues with 18's on there vn's?

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
I have a NF fairlane with the same problem, i know its a different car and with 17s but it might give you something to look at, I also had the same problem with my VN with 15s, On my falcon it was my camber/ caster setting off my toe in/toe out alignment only on my left hand side I replaced the rack with a new one, new Ball joints, camber caster kit, and tie rod ends and its been good as new since ..

Now my VN was a different story, 14 wheel alignments and still no luck, gose out on the left hand side wearing the inside of the tire out .. Toe in toe out had moved only .8 of a mm.
All that was, was worn bushes from the top of the shocker that adjusts the camber castor, I also noticed even tho it wasnt knocking, my shocker on the left hand side was lose and was coming out of the strut. I also replaced all the sway bar bushes and both lower wishbone bushes and panard rod bushes and now good as gold ..

Dude, I know there different but i think you will find if its none of these things, It will be bushes on the front end for sure!
Hope it helps mate :)

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
as said above, alignment changes would most prob be worn out components or bushes. i.e. strut tops, control arm bushes, ball joints...

as for the leak... maybe you arent seating the threads of the hoses properly? or... it could be the hoses themselves leaking, not the rack

vnsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S Manual
It has nolathane adjustable strut tops they have been in there like 12 months, they seem visually perfect still however last wheel alignment I did notice that they didn't adjust the top at all!

I replaced the wishbone bushes in one side as it was completely flogged out.

The front springs and shocks need attention for sure. The shocks are lowered but when the strut is out the springs are barely kept in place. I think the power steering just needs a good going over, tightening things up.

It's just a pain haha

vn_wagon90

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Wagon
Having worn springs and shocks dont help the problem you have. Nolathane is a good brand but if u have one bush that is buggered chances are the rest will be buggered to .. My opinion, I would replace the wishbone bushes together and get the strut tops checked for cracking, they may look ok but in fact they my be cracked. Tighten up any loose bolts and replace anything worn, and you should be good after that. Good luck :)

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
As i said, check for play in the lower ball joints too. canber and toe can vary when they are stuffed.