Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 1990 3.8

Timmy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn executives s1 1990 3.8
Hey guys new to the page I recently bought a vn that was parked up for a fuw year really cheap. So far after replacing fuel pump and new plugs and leads tonight when I was driving it the engine light came on for around 5 seconds and then whent of agin then around 5 min later did it agine for 5 seconds but the car still sounded fine and wasn’t lagging or running ruff any ideas

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Need to check codes, could be one of 5 things.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@gtrboyy knows how to on a VN. You should just need a jumper wire. VR like I have is slightly different as I have OBD port. But still use paper clip or ALDL software and a laptop.

Timmy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Alright then cool if I took it into a mechanic would thay be Abel to do it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I'd say so. They will probably need a Snapon scan tool though.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Use a paper clip bent in a U shape or use a piece of wire and bridge A&B together, plug is located under the glovebox near the kick panel.

https://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/aldl160/vn_aldl.htm
You don't need to visit a mechanic to check for fault codes. As Comcal says above just use a bent paperclip to bridge the A & B connections on the diagnostic plug. With the ignition on the engine light will flash like a kind of morse code to give you numbers to point you to faults. If you use the search function on this site you should find a more detailed set of instructions. I just had a look but so many posts came up and I don't have time to trawl through them.
Get back to us and ask more questions if you are following up on this and you'll get more help.

Timmy95

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys I will sus it out when I get some time on my hand and will let use now thanks agine

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Thanks guys I will sus it out when I get some time on my hand and will let use now thanks agine

Speaking from experience it sounds like the O2 sensor but of course it could be anything.
If the car has ben sitting for long periods i would replace the O2 sensor anyway,cheap and easy to get at.
Good luck.