Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN 200KW upgrades

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Fair question. But being that I am in NZ, and brought the COME TTB mani for my 355 about 3years ago, I am not the one to answer your question.
From memory there was a crowd in Sydney. But not much chance of me remembering now.
If you are keen on it as well ask around. Maybe EYY or immortality knew of somewhere (again, testing my memory here).

There was a guy in Sydney but he closed down and there is no one else doing it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
An original condition VN with genuine original 200kw motor? Might be worth just cleaning it up and keeping it stockish.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Tell me where do you get an extrusion hone done in Australia atm?
I love how people always know all the supposed answers.

Stop getting your panties in a twist....

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Stop getting your panties in a twist....
No stress at my end.
He said 'supposed answers' and then confirmed that I remembered correctly about a mob in Sydney. Therefore not supposed, but actual answer.
Unfortunately I was unawares they had closed since my last research on the topic.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
yes the original engine in car as its been parked in backyard for too long, (life and work sometimes gets in way) but gilt has the better of me now and need to show the old girl some love, I have the petrol tank out and have just rebuilt that, so maybe the smart thing to do is pull engine and go through it, may just need a clean up, rings. Have been trying to get information on what the actual 200KW engine build consisted of, however apart form compression haven't been able to find anything. Even when I wrote away to HDT to get the authenticity certificate for car, they couldn't tell me what was done to the engines back in 1991. So assuming compression, cam, heads
there was approx. 30* V8 produced, so allowing for a few which have been written off, wrapped around pool, then information base is a little slim

assuming only way is pull sump, engine and have a peak ?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
yes the original engine in car as its been parked in backyard for too long, (life and work sometimes gets in way) but gilt has the better of me now and need to show the old girl some love, I have the petrol tank out and have just rebuilt that, so maybe the smart thing to do is pull engine and go through it, may just need a clean up, rings. Have been trying to get information on what the actual 200KW engine build consisted of, however apart form compression haven't been able to find anything. Even when I wrote away to HDT to get the authenticity certificate for car, they couldn't tell me what was done to the engines back in 1991. So assuming compression, cam, heads
there was approx. 30* V8 produced, so allowing for a few which have been written off, wrapped around pool, then information base is a little slim

assuming only way is pull sump, engine and have a peak ?

Check the exhaust ports, if they're D shaped it has the Group A style heads. If it has these probably best send them to Tony Knight Race Engines for a service as you wouldn't want some numpty to ruin them.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
shane I check the heads numbers and they read #0019 last 4 digits, so they don't seem to be Group A heads which are #0757
exhaust still bolted up

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You're over-thinking too much.

It's not SV5000 or vn grp a that had d port heads & 4 bolt block...

If keeping the original look & banana manifold most of parts you're thinking about are not needed...basic stroker kit,mild cam,3k stally,shift kit etc with 3.45-3.70 diff gears.

For now just get it running...fix whatever needs fixing & then drive it.

Once something is fubar'd work out a real life budget..list what actual parts are on it & reusable then go from there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute