Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN 200KW upgrades

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
You're over-thinking too much.

It's not SV5000 or vn grp a that had d port heads & 4 bolt block...

From memory SV5000 didn't even have 4-bolt. It was only Group A that had factory 4-bolt in VN. Anyway, 200kw was a basic header/exhaust, intake, knock sensor and small cam upgrade (circa Crane 276?). Stock heads and stock pretty much everywhere else.

If OP is wanting to go 355, do yourself a favour and bump comp up to at least 10.1. I did a stock comp 360 (0.060 bores) build with a Crane 284 and bananas (bigger throttle body, tune, good exhaust etc) and it wasn't earth-shattering. Good torque though. I didn't persist with the EFI for long and swapped for a Harrop and Holley set-up.

Personally I'd keep it stock and maintain its collectability.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
pulled the rocker covers in weekend, there was a fair amount of gunk build up, mostly around oil filler cap location.
Have decided to pull the engine, as need to tidy up engine bay, so best done with engine out and then pull heads, and sump and see what things look like.
Then make decision whether to stroke, refresh, or bore it, will check out the camshaft thats in there

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
walkies,vn grp a then vp gts got left over 4 bolt blocks...never seen sv5000 engine out of car or pulled down only seen d port heads on which were a waste so highly doubt the had 4 bolt mains.

Dude I'd just run engine with diesel oil & flush it out a few times if doesn't need rear mains or head gaskets & under 200k on odometer.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
walkies,vn grp a then vp gts got left over 4 bolt blocks...never seen sv5000 engine out of car or pulled down only seen d port heads on which were a waste so highly doubt the had 4 bolt mains.

Yep, SV5000 had standard 304 bottom end. But a small number of VP Clubsport 5000i also got the VP GTS black motor with 4-bolts, apparently.

H

harrop.senator

Yep, SV5000 had standard 304 bottom end. But a small number of VP Clubsport 5000i also got the VP GTS black motor with 4-bolts, apparently.

I know of a vp clubsport 5000i and a senator 5000i both had 4 bolt mains so I thought it was a 200kw thing lol.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know of a vp clubsport 5000i and a senator 5000i both had 4 bolt mains so I thought it was a 200kw thing lol.

Red and black 200kW versions, only the black ones had the hardcore hardware.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
decision to pull motor is based on tidying up car as planning to restore it
body is clean of rust, just been weathered from sitting outside, rubbers, paint, etc.
with engine out may as well dig deeper and tidy it up, be a shame not to take advantage of this.
with car up on the chassis dollies/stands over weekend, managed to have a good crawl around, pulled exhaust, driveshaft
there isn't a lot of room in there for 308
I recall having more room when installing the SBC/powerglide into LH torana years earlier
assuming its easier to pull the transmission first, then get better access around engine

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
decision to pull motor is based on tidying up car as planning to restore it
body is clean of rust, just been weathered from sitting outside, rubbers, paint, etc.
with engine out may as well dig deeper and tidy it up, be a shame not to take advantage of this.
with car up on the chassis dollies/stands over weekend, managed to have a good crawl around, pulled exhaust, driveshaft
there isn't a lot of room in there for 308
I recall having more room when installing the SBC/powerglide into LH torana years earlier
assuming its easier to pull the transmission first, then get better access around engine

I just drop the lot out from the car onto the ground or onto a bench if I'm using a two post.
It does make it easier removing the trans if you're using a crane to bring it out the top.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
motor and gearbox out
trying to organise some 3/8" x 4" bolts in lockdown for engine stand to hang motor on
pulled the rockers no ware
pushrods a few of them blocked, washed and cleaned up
pulled heads, combustions in good nick
pistons and bore in immaculate condition, really surprised me for 147km
gave the piston tops a wipe and extremely clean
they appear to be 10cc dish

need to measure deck height and spin engine over and pull pan
supposedly it hasn't been open since

no marks/or lip in bore

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg