Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN 200KW upgrades

H

harrop.senator

It's fuel contamination that creates sludge. Whether it's from running really rich or lack of servicing.

I've pulled a fair few down cleaner then this one ranging from 150-250k's.

The worst one I pulled down had 10k on an untuned 355 with a 286 cam and it looked like this plus had washed bores.

Being batch fire they're never going to be that great on fuel but I think a good time would make a difference.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nahh. My 304 has more mileage and didn't have anywhere as much buildup inside. It's not just regular oil changes it's also how it is used. Short trips where the engine doesn't get up to full operating temp is fairly much the worst thing for oil. The PCV system is also known to create some contamination on the one side under the rocker cover but the other side is normally clean.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
The motor has 147k
The return drains on heads seem small wondering whether to much oil getting upstairs
This is first holden v8 pulled apart as usually been playing with Chev BB so use to seeing bigger drain holes

There appears to collect a lot is sludge and build up in valley

not sure whether the hyd cam and lifters have been changed earlier as it had chilled iron lifters in there and according to crow cams yesterday they were NOT standard in holden although I could of misunderstood the statement

Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
This engine / car Been sitting in backyard not moving for 15 yrs so whether the oil has broken down in that time with moisture
Although no rust anywhere except for wheel I took the oil filler cap off rocker cover to view inside and was going to change oil
I noticed that as few of the push rods had picked up a little moisture under the filler cap
However the rest all good

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The 304 is known for the small drain backs but it's not the cause of the sludge.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Well fuel contamination explains it a bit. For some time I had a flickering engine light and had 2 cats blocked from rich running and nobody worked it out till I replaced ECU and it fixed it.
Obviously short trips are like ECU going in open loop i.e. like till engine warms up so it acts as a type of choke running rich . Car now has 183k and runs well but leaks from rear main seal as it has done since 1990s but never needs topping up. Cousin didn't want to change it then as he said it was only seeping and "didn't want to disturb bottom end". Was told that rear main seal leaks because of sludge in these motors increasing pressure along with a dirty seal so not worth fixing if it's not leaking too much as it may leak soon after.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
How would sludge increase pressures? Unless the PCV system has been blocked or altered there should be no pressure in the crankcase.

H

harrop.senator

Sounds like your cousin just hates rope seals lol. If he'd been checking the bearings for wear like stated the bottom end was already disturbed.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is probably a great example for removing and cleaning the PCV valve once in a while.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Always checked this and never blocked always rattled.
These motors are tough and reliable but leak.