Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TimmyVn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 S1
Hey all.

Just recently i got a new second hand replacement DFI/Coil pack for my '89 VN, because the last one died. The car worked fine for a few weeks or so, then sudenly it was slightly hard to start and misfiring when lightly accelerating and going past 70k's or so. I was told to replace the DFI/Coil pack again, but someone said that the Fuel pressure regulator would cause that... im not sure.. does anyone know of this problem or know anything else that could cause this?

Cheers Tim

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
How are your leads?

sawychri06

Reaction score
Members Ride
d22 navara
yea mate i would get a cheep multimeter first so u can eliminate that :D

TimmyVn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 S1
Hey thanks for you replies, my leads seem to be in good condition, high performance ones were put it before i bought it. Im not sure about them

TimmyVn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 S1
my VR V6 is missing too, just replaced plugs and leads today. bought a new coil pack and tested it in each slot, missed everytime.

what could it be?

Weird ayy... My uncles a mechanic, he asked me the other day if its a rough start, and sometimes misfires... at that point it was running rough but no misfiring.. he then told me to buy a replacement Fuel pressure regulator, cuz sometimes if it wears out it doesnt regulate the pressure properly, on start up, and/or acceleration underload... i didnt really take much notice and havent spoken to him since but im thinking it the regulator... but ive got no idea about it... i probs give him another call, ill let you know if it changes anything.

sawychri06

Reaction score
Members Ride
d22 navara
Yeah, i bought one the other day, but i.ve only used it to read the Tach, how do i go checkin them?

take 1 lead at a time off and put the red and black points in either end. u should get a reading of between 3.?? on the shorter leads and anything upto 8.?? or 9.?? on the longer leads. with mine i tested it after i had a missfire and found leads 3 and 6 where dead i knew that because the lead tested ... on the multimeter meaning its effed. but i just went and bought a new pack of leads fixed the prob. i cant remember what reading it was on i think it might have been 200,000 or 20,000 on the multimeter setting
hope that helps :D

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Weird ayy... My uncles a mechanic, he asked me the other day if its a rough start, and sometimes misfires... at that point it was running rough but no misfiring.. he then told me to buy a replacement Fuel pressure regulator, cuz sometimes if it wears out it doesnt regulate the pressure properly, on start up, and/or acceleration underload... i didnt really take much notice and havent spoken to him since but im thinking it the regulator... but ive got no idea about it... i probs give him another call, ill let you know if it changes anything.

yer sounds alright, ive got no idea what/where that is lol, let me know.

TimmyVn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 S1
No luck, the regulator, wont cause the problem... im going to replace the plugs and the leads and see what happens... thanks for all your help.