Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 3.8 temp sensor

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbocharged vg ute, sbc r31 skyline wagon, multip
Ive got a vn v6 the thermo fan wasn’t kicking on so I replaced the temp sensor still no luck but if i leave it unplugged it works as it should normally but with the engine light on, any ideas?

I know theres other threads but I couldn’t find one that fits my issue

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There are 2 temp sensors, a 2 wire sensor that is for the ECU and a single wire sensor for the dash temp gauge.

You could possibly have an issue where the temp gauge on the dash is reading wrong (showing hot) when the actual engine temp is fine and everything is working as it should be.

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
There are 2 temp sensors, a 2 wire sensor that is for the ECU and a single wire sensor for the dash temp gauge.

You could possibly have an issue where the temp gauge on the dash is reading wrong (showing hot) when the actual engine temp is fine and everything is working as it should be.
Yeah i did have that thought but you can smell that its getting warm i replaced the single wire sensor aswell quite stumped to be honest

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VN only has a single speed thermo fan.

Ive got a vn v6 the thermo fan wasn’t kicking on so I replaced the temp sensor still no luck but if i leave it unplugged it works as it should normally but with the engine light on, any ideas?

I know theres other threads but I couldn’t find one that fits my issue

When you unplug the temp sensor the ECU is logging an open circuit fault and setting the engine check light. Because it doesn't know what the engine temp is the default setting is to turn the thermo fan on. This indicates to me that the ECU has full control over the thermo fan and it functions correctly from an electrical point of view.

Ideally you would need to verify the actual engine temp with some sort of external source or datalog the car and see what the actual temp readings the ECU is seeing.

Possible/potential issues are

1. faulty temp sensors sending the wrong signal.
2. wiring problem between the temp sensor/ecu causing erroneous temp readings.

Single peger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN only has a single speed thermo fan.

When you unplug the temp sensor the ECU is logging an open circuit fault and setting the engine check light. Because it doesn't know what the engine temp is the default setting is to turn the thermo fan on. This indicates to me that the ECU has full control over the thermo fan and it functions correctly from an electrical point of view.

Ideally you would need to verify the actual engine temp with some sort of external source or datalog the car and see what the actual temp readings the ECU is seeing.

Possible/potential issues are

1. faulty temp sensors sending the wrong signal.
2. wiring problem between the temp sensor/ecu causing erroneous temp readings.
Sweet that’ll give me something to look into today, a sticky thermostat wouldn’t cause it would it? The cars quite high in the km’s so im not sure when it was last replaced if at all and yesterday it wasn’t opening

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
A sticking thermostat won't affect the fan but it will cause the engine to overheat and smell more quickly.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Also there is more than 1 part No. for the sensors,early VN's have a different resistance to series 11/VP.
Part suppliers don't care so you have to do your homework.