Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 304 rebuild

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does any recommend buying the parts themselves and then having the mechanics fit them.... Was thinking it could be cheaper doing this as some places don't pass on the trade price they get...

If you are having machine work done and not doing he assembly yourself then it probably works out cheaper to have the machining shop to order parts, machine and assemble, rather than paying a garage $110 an hour.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
If you are having machine work done and not doing he assembly yourself then it probably works out cheaper to have the machining shop to order parts, machine and assemble, rather than paying a garage $110 an hour.
Thanks losh1971.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
And that ensures that you get good parts and all the machining tolerances etc are correct.

c@l@is

Reaction score
Expecting a heap of 304 will be rebuilt over the next few years now Holden is gone it's just more reason to not LS an original 5.0 car.

I'm not planning on building mine (yet)but will be watching this thread

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Expecting a heap of 304 will be rebuilt over the next few years now Holden is gone it's just more reason to not LS an original 5.0 car.

I'm not planning on building mine (yet)but will be watching this thread
Yep, the last V8 designed and built in Australia.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
Will keep everyone posted with what I end up doing. Have to wait for the car to come back from the spray painter first. Having a facelift after 30yrs. Looking forward to see how she looks.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
is pavtec or come racing still around?
The rebuild cost is why I literally kept the TH700, pulled the heads off and dumped the block on the side of a dirt road. It sucks but the good builders arent cheap and its hard resisting the urge to do things like decking, stroking and porting. I really miss the low end torque but once you go LSx you wonder why you ever wasted money on a 5L

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
is pavtec or come racing still around?
The rebuild cost is why I literally kept the TH700, pulled the heads off and dumped the block on the side of a dirt road. It sucks but the good builders arent cheap and its hard resisting the urge to do things like decking, stroking and porting. I really miss the low end torque but once you go LSx you wonder why you ever wasted money on a 5L

At the moment it's about the same price to use a Holden over a LS.
I looked at second hand engine pricing for LS and guess what........... every man and their dog wants top dollar for LS stuff............ you know why because every man and their dog wants an LS.

LS prices are ridiculous atm.

Edit my statement is inclusive of the conversion costs.