Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 304 rebuild

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Shane-3800 who do you use.....

I use Phillip Heads for my machine work but they're reluctant to do work like strokers so I do that stuff myself.
Knight Race Engines, Sams Performance or Dandy Engines are my pick from Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
I use Phillip Heads for my machine work but they're reluctant to do work like strokers so I do that stuff myself.
Knight Race Engines, Sams Performance or Dandy Engines are my pick from Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne.
Are you in NSW?? Interested in a job....

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Are you in NSW?? Interested in a job....
No I don't do work outside my daily job. I used to run my own buisness but now that is over I just do cars at work. Soon I'm going to be over in WA working as heavy fitter when I get my licence back.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If you're really serious speak to or contact through fb for sitdown.

Westend Performance (engine reconditioners etc)

Tuners who do delco tuning:

Ace Performance Tuning

Rappo's Racing (dude is up that way & loves the holden v8)

^^^ Unsure if he takes on random peeps.

Both tuners will know what combinations work well & what is junk that will haunt you...wrong parts or being cheapskate on certain parts will bite you in the behind.

Don't be buying parts because it looks good or told it's the duck's guts.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
If you're really serious speak to or contact through fb for sitdown.

Westend Performance (engine reconditioners etc)

Tuners who do delco tuning:

Ace Performance Tuning

Rappo's Racing (dude is up that way & loves the holden v8)

^^^ Unsure if he takes on random peeps.

Both tuners will know what combinations work well & what is junk that will haunt you...wrong parts or being cheapskate on certain parts will bite you in the behind.

Don't be buying parts because it looks good or told it's the duck's guts.
Thanks gtrboyy.

Will give them a buzz and see what they say.

Not looking at buying cheap parts, Just looking for the best price on the parts....

wild mulberry

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5lt berlina wagon
i just had my 304 fully rebuilt...new cams ,new cam kit, timing chain etc pistons ,rings 2nd hand rods as one of mine was bent.. rebore etc etc new radiator as mine was toast ..your not going to do a rebuild with a crap radiator i had electric fans added plus all the gaskets fluids labour...not much change out of $8K............your not going to get anyone to do anything if you ask them you just want this or that done to it as most mechanics dont want to go down that road for good reason.....i just told the guy do a rebuild and replace what is needed.......i went with a stock rebuild as i can loose my license easy enough with a stock 304..........................job done at Nowra https://www.horsepowergarage.com.au/

Last edited:

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
i just had my 304 fully rebuilt...new cams ,new cam kit, timing chain etc pistons ,rings 2nd hand rods as one of mine was bent.. rebore etc etc new radiator as mine was toast ..your not going to do a rebuild with a crap radiator i had electric fans added plus all the gaskets fluids labour...not much change out of $8K............your not going to get anyone to do anything if you ask them you just want this or that done to it as most mechanics dont want to go down that road for good reason.....i just told the guy do a rebuild and replace what is needed.......i went with a stock rebuild as i can loose my license easy enough with a stock 304..........................job done at Nowra https://www.horsepowergarage.com.au/
How does she run now....
I finally decided that I will have it rebuilt to a 355 stroker. A business in Penrith will do the job for around $11k. Happy with the price. Now have to pull the engine out and take it there. Hoping to do that by the weekend so I can drop it off Monday.

Once she comes back, Will then have to get her tuned. Anyone know if you can drive it as is to get it tuned or is it beat to take it there by trailer.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
You 'could' drive it there. But probably over fuelling and not breaking in rings correctly. And keeps stalling on you. I would hate to go too far.

Realistically trailer it! And then get dropped back later to drive it home. You would be silly to do otherwise.