Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 304 rebuild

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks for your comments. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure which way to go. I like the idea of updating the engine, wiring..etc but with a limited budget obviously that would restrict me. I just don't want to go down the path of doing something with the engine and then say to myself, why didn't I do something else..... The concept of keeping the original motor in these cars seem to go by the wayside these days.

That was true about five years ago even ten now the cost of conversion and better 304 parts on the market makes it near comparable in price to do a LS1 conversion for the same power.
L98...... Have fun finding one, you think you'll pick one up at the auctions? Well just remeber you're bidding against people that buy these things every day and part them out and sell them off. You will struggel buying a L98 at the acutions for cheaper then just paying a wrecker for on which are way more pricey than LS1's.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
Because of the reach of the internet there's a lot more exposure of people's engine conversions, but I would hardly say it's the norm.

People are able to slap things together on the internet, some of them at a budget price, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're good long term or maintenance free because of the stuff they did that they didn't show you. People working on a 304 in a VN isn't as interesting because that's the way it's been since the VN came out (not to mention they're far less common now).

Also important to remember that a lot of conversion threads you read (for any type of car) like this on forums are usually multi year projects because people are just doing this in their spare time or they're tinkerers. There are not a lot of people who think their engine being worn out constitutes knocking out an engine conversion in a couple of weeks as a normal solution.

Refresh and engine conversion are two very different things.

How many k's is on your 304?
250k. A couple of cylinders a down on compression (around 90psi) so she's pretty tired.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
250k. A couple of cylinders a down on compression (around 90psi) so she's pretty tired.

You mention being tight on budget.....

My suggestion is, freshen up the old 304....Price out having some head work done and a streetable cam.....Something that is around the 1 800-2200 to 4 800 - 5 000 mark...That should give you some more power and also keep the budget in check

That should keep costs down and more importantly, the costs associated with changing to a different engine, or driveline changes to cope with bigger engine outputs associated with strokers/turbos/superchargers, bigger cams/massive head work etc etc...

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
At those pressures and mileage it looks to beeee more of an complete overhaul than just a freshen up, so it aint going to be as cheep as you think.
Go see engine builders and get some real quotes for a complete rebuild and see what sort of budget you actually need as at the moment there is a lot of variations in price/parts/quality especially since price hikes from covid lockdown madness.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
At those pressures and mileage it looks to beeee more of an complete overhaul than just a freshen up, so it aint going to be as cheep as you think.
Go see engine builders and get some real quotes for a complete rebuild and see what sort of budget you actually need as at the moment there is a lot of variations in price/parts/quality especially since price hikes from covid lockdown madness.
Thanks Vin999. Looking at an many options as possible at the moment. If I have to wait 6mths and see if prices go down, then I will..

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
With rebuild why not go 355 lil extra power, worth the money you spend if you keep the Berlina original as not many original VN V8's left and worth every cent spent, nice model by the way.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
With rebuild why not go 355 lil extra power, worth the money you spend if you keep the Berlina original as not many original VN V8's left and worth every cent spent, nice model by the way.
Thanks Vin999.

355 was something I was considering. Just heard different things about strokers about their reliability.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Thanks Vin999.

355 was something I was considering. Just heard different things about strokers about their reliability.

Nah, 350cui is only a 3.48in total stroke which is pretty small increase over stock and a bit less pin height on the pistons. I built a lazy 360 COME-stroked Holden a few years back, used stock rods, VN heads and standard valve gear on a Crane 286 cam and 9.75 comp. Pulled like a train and never worked hard -I had a self imposed 6000rpm redline and first was pretty much useless in a HQ ute on skinnies. Didn't cost much more than a stock 304 rebuild.

Richo0902

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V8
Nah, 350cui is only a 3.48in total stroke which is pretty small increase over stock and a bit less pin height on the pistons. I built a lazy 360 COME-stroked Holden a few years back, used stock rods, VN heads and standard valve gear on a Crane 286 cam and 9.75 comp. Pulled like a train and never worked hard -I had a self imposed 6000rpm redline and first was pretty much useless in a HQ ute on skinnies. Didn't cost much more than a stock 304 rebuild.
So traction is a bit of a prob is it....lol. Sounds like I could have a fun motor once it's built then. As I have a manual, I guess I will have to be careful taking off....