Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN 5.0 POWER STEERING PUMP LEAK/REBUILD

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Hi All,
Noticed since around 8 years ago a minor weep from pump seems to come from large front seal behind pulley unless its from cap seal. Only leaks slowly leaving a little oil on AC hose and a little accumulation on air baffle may leak 100ml every 3 months or so and more when under load like stationary turning in car parks which I avoid. Anyway bought a GM seal kit back then but never installed it since so minor. Pump is quiet and smooth.
Anyway was wondering has anyone rebuilt these? Saw a good write up for 6cyl version. Is it worth it or should I just put a little Nulon stop leak in or go Kelpro one.
Thanks.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Worth doing properly. I used a change over rebuilt from a pro. He pulled mine apart in about 3mins to assess condition and advise.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I got a changeover pump from Prestige Power Steering in Thomastown in early 2005, worked well ever since.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Hi All,
Anyway was wondering has anyone rebuilt these? Saw a good write up for 6cyl version. Is it worth it or should I just put a little Nulon stop leak in or go Kelpro one.
Thanks.
As already suggested don't use any of the 'stop leak' products,if you are keeping the car take the pump off and get new seals fitted.
Problem with the 'stop leak' products is the chemicals used swell,soften, and eventually stuff any rubber seals in the system so you will be up for a steering box/rack rebuild as well.

Last edited:

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah thinking about rebuilding this as I have the kit and may be a fun job. Had a close look at reservoir to pump gap where it's weeping and it looks very even so reservoir housing should be ok just needs seals and may need to install a Davies Craig cooler.
My only question is how do I get pulley off and on? Got a hex bolt at the front which apparently dosent come out do I use a 3 jaw puller or what and how do I get it back on? Does GM have special tool has anyone done this or have access to factory manual?
If tool not to expensive may have a go.
Any ideas?

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for tip.
Seen a couple of videos on YouTube re Saginaw pump rebuild and still wondering if you can pull shaft out from front to get to front seal and inner O rings. Wonder if person in thread changed or left these.. The videos I saw shaft seems to have disk attached so don't know if it can be unclipped from rear to be dismantled that way.
All the videos I saw the pulley had a flange tool could grip on but our dosent so don't know what GMH uses.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I replaced all the easy to get at seals in my wife's VS Clubsport in 2006. Still going strong. I wouldn't bother with any seals that are difficult or require special tools unless they look really bad.