Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 5litre & manual conversion into v6 vn

Haydn23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute v6
Hey guys just recently picked up a vn v6 calais to restore and would like to put a 5litre manual into it would like to know everything I’d need/need to do in order for this to work, a donor v8 is not an option in this day and age (have tried search forums everyone recommendeds a donor but good luck getting one)
Also interested in the vt brake upgrade or another upgrade from the v6 brakes (std 5litre nothing crazy)

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you're not willing to get a donor, good luck with the conversion...You see, a donor has everything required to do the swap, like engine, transmission, loom, ecu, k-frame, clutch and brake pedal and possibly tailshaft...I'm also sure I have missed a few things as well.

Best of luck with it

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You could spend years collecting the parts. The days when wreckers yards/ebay were full of good , cheap VN/VP/VQ V8 parts ended long ago. If you don't want to buy a donor car why not start with a VN/VP V8?
Even if you got the VN V6 for free it won't save you much in the overall end cost of the vehicle.

Haydn23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute v6
You could spend years collecting the parts. The days when wreckers yards/ebay were full of good , cheap VN/VP/VQ V8 parts ended long ago. If you don't want to buy a donor car why not start with a VN/VP V8?
Even if you got the VN V6 for free it won't save you much in the overall end cost of the vehicle.
It’s not possible to purchase a donor car very rarely will you see an affordable v8 from the era pop up for sale, I have access to parts from multiple wreckers and have a 5litre and transmission just wanted to know exactly what I need in order to do complete it

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
There is no simple answer especially without knowing what the actual model ecu/eng/trans you there to put in it.

Different model parts may require different combination of parts to work with a vn compared to vr/s etc

Put up list of parts you actually have...a budget...also all accessories & stuff wanting to run but remember the more parts you're missing the more time & money + headaches.

Haydn23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute v6
There is no simple answer especially without knowing what the actual model ecu/eng/trans you there to put in it.

Different model parts may require different combination of parts to work with a vn compared to vr/s etc

Put up list of parts you actually have...a budget...also all accessories & stuff wanting to run but remember the more parts you're missing the more time & money + headaches.

I’m unsure exactly of the year which doesn’t help sorry but it’s a vn calais, and have a 5litre + t5 manual to go in it, budget doesn’t worry me as it’s a long term project just trying to figure out a parts list so I can start sorting it out

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I’m unsure exactly of the year which doesn’t help sorry but it’s a vn calais, and have a 5litre + t5 manual to go in it, budget doesn’t worry me as it’s a long term project just trying to figure out a parts list so I can start sorting it out

The year of the engine/gearbox matters so you can get the right ECU and accessories to make it run and drive.

This is part of the reason why getting a donor vehicle helps, as everything is there to get it running and driving

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Geebus you've already told us project car yet no details of what rear/model driveline & parts you actually have to give advice/info which way to make it all work.

For instance 304/75 combo could be out of a vn/p or vr or vs...each has their own differences to make work with other models.

If car already has 290mm front discs v8 booster will be only thing needed for rego...if it has smaller discs like early vn's then needs 290 mm discs/caliper but I'd rather go vs m/cyl & plastic booster then get brake line ends double flared to suit.

If you're parts etc from vs series 3 ute or vt 304 better off to keep looking than trying to convert into vn/p.

If you're unsure now you're head will spin if you want cruise control.air con etc to work without vn/p parts...then you'll get the repeated term 'same model donor car'

wild mulberry

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5lt berlina wagon

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you have engine and trans already,

You would need,

V8 cross member (VN or later as they have more clearance around the rack for exhausts)
Transmission cross member
Drive shaft

I would highly recommend a VN/VP 808 and matching wiring loom to suit V8. You will need the matching Distributor (there are different distributor plugs for the later engines.

V8 pedal box assembly (possibly, I'm told the throw out length is different between V6 and V8 but would need to confirm)
Clutch cable

Headers/exhaust
Radiator and all associated bits

Front struts or upgrade existing struts with correct springs (heavier engine)

Possibly a different dash as I believe the tacho might read wrong.

There are probably more/other bits but you'll discover those as you go but those listed above should be all the major items required to get it in and running.