Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn 5litre & manual conversion into v6 vn

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you have engine and trans already,

You would need,

V8 cross member (VN or later as they have more clearance around the rack for exhausts)
Transmission cross member
Drive shaft

I would highly recommend a VN/VP 808 and matching wiring loom to suit V8. You will need the matching Distributor (there are different distributor plugs for the later engines.

V8 pedal box assembly (possibly, I'm told the throw out length is different between V6 and V8 but would need to confirm)
Clutch cable

Headers/exhaust
Radiator and all associated bits

Front struts or upgrade existing struts with correct springs (heavier engine)

Possibly a different dash as I believe the tacho might read wrong.

There are probably more/other bits but you'll discover those as you go but those listed above should be all the major items required to get it in and running.
The tacho and temp gauge will read wrong- it's the small unexpected bits like that that will make a V8 donor car the way to go.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I agree but when you can't get a donor car cheap or easy then you going the other route is the only option.

Tacho and temp gauge aren't going to stop you getting it running.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
v6 tacho can be fixed with corrector box or swapped out with v8 tacho easily enough...whilst there good time to odometer gears & touch up dry solder issues all the dashes end up with.

temp gauge & sender unit probably same.....if not 100% swap v6 sender into 304.

Lots of messing around with different part combinations yet doable depending on model of car & what driveline is from....tracking parts from different models is pita

wild mulberry

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5lt berlina wagon
i agree with whats been said ...you will end up forking out some serious $$$$$$ to have what will be a frankenstien car ........ something like this one on Ebay would end up a lot cheaper and you have a genuine car .... caveat.... this car has nothing to do with me and i dont know the owner
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/184854299728?hash=item2b0a2cc450:g:cU8AAOSwAlVgrIg8&frcectupt=true
$13,500 she went for........ it did list a "spot" on the rear window ......this will give you some sort of an idea on spending $$$$.....just a guide on how much........i know we all probably spend too much though;);)