Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 VN AERO REBUILD (304 stroked to 350ci flat top pistons std 4" bore)

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
  • gave the chassis connectors another coat of black
  • tightened all bolts up

• turned attention to diff
    • managed to slide diff under on chassis dolley
    • all suspension bushes replaced except for lower rear bushes as they were new 17 yrs ago, and car hasn't gone anywhere
    • final paint for panhard rod and rear sway bar bush clamp, then can be placed on diff
    • only other thing to organise is rear aluminium cover, gasket, fill with LSD oil, then finished

Attachments

• 83.jpg
    83.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 84.jpg
    84.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 85.jpg
    85.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 86.jpg
    86.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Seen another brand maybe crs similar kit except locks front chassis rail to rear instead of bolt through front floor pan.

Still wondering if these bodyshells are flexing like silly or just sloppy suspension design that makes them look like they're twisting/flexing when pushed hard through sharp set of twisties
There is 3 bolts up front between connector and GMH chassis
  • 2* bolts horisontally and then
  • 1 * bolt vertically which ties in floor pan as well

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Might have got the brands mixed up...seen pics where one goes through floorpan & other connects front & back rails.

*was on nightshifts at the time & sleep deprived

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Wheels & rims:
The wheels which I had with new tyres were 17"x8" ROH Furys
tyres all round are 235/45/R17
They have gutter marks on the rims
Was thinking to get them touched up and painted ?
Not sure what colour
Have these now tyres are new, so thought I would use them
need to get the car on deck see how far the rim is close to inside, maybe put some larger tyres on latter

Attachments

• 89.jpg
    89.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 87.jpg
    87.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 69
  • 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Seen another brand maybe crs similar kit except locks front chassis rail to rear instead of bolt through front floor pan.

Still wondering if these bodyshells are flexing like silly or just sloppy suspension design that makes them look like they're twisting/flexing when pushed hard through sharp set of twisties
They flex.
Jack up one end of the car, and then the door alignment is slightly out when you open/close the door, you can feel it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's a uni-body thing. Even adding a strut brace on the front struts improves the body problem but then the stamped steel suspension doesn't help either.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
As far as auto body goes, use a quality acrylic paint (not 2 pack), and go base and clear. Metallic isn’t really any more difficult than a solid colour, provided you use the right technique.

The only issue you’ll encounter with metallic that you won’t have over a solid base, is that the metallic flake can fall over (or is pushed over) as you spray. You need to spray a mist/dust coat prior to clearing to give a uniform appearance. If you don’t do this, you’ll get tiger stripes through the paint under the clear.

There are a few advantages to base & clear as a DIY’er.
1) if you ever need to blend for a repair, whether it be metallic or solid colour, it’s a much easier process with better results

2) Additional UV stability and deeper gloss after wet sanding/polishing

3) Minor damage to the clear coat won’t impact the colour underneath. For example, an oil spill on some acrylic paints will permanently discolour it. The clear coat can be wet sanded and polished again.

For a vehicle that you just need to get back on the road quickly and don’t care for colour matching and ease of repair, go a single stage acrylic (solid base only).

If you want a really nice looking paint job that’s very forgiving for a beginner, go base & clear. Runs are very difficult to sand out properly, so with an acrylic base/clear system, you can spray a little drier without compromising the quality of your spray job. This means that you’ll need to deal with a little more orange peel when you’re wet sanding.

Being a beginner, you’ll be wet sanding regardless of the paint you choose.

Two pack paints are another realm again, but I wouldn’t suggest you learn with them as 2k is not as user friendly, especially for a home job (aside from the health risks).

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Agreed with EYY,

I did my VR earlier this year in a clear over base acrylic rather than a single stage like it would have been painted from the factory.

As stated you'll get a much much deeper gloss than a single stage, and it will last longer both due to additional UV protection but you've also got more meat to safely buff down, and as said imperfections mean you can just buff a bit of clear rather than something staining the actual colour coat itself.

I did 3 coats of base and 5 coats of clear, came out great.

I'll never do a single stage paint job again after seeing the results of COB.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think with 2k base and clear a lot comes down to the brand. I've used Debeer in 2k and both the solid white, and silver metallic base and 2k clear. I'm a novice at best but I have found with Debeer it goes on really well. I've only used Debeer but my father in law who did some spraying for me said the Debeer I supplied went on really well compared to some others he has used. Issue is health risks. Need a shed with an extraction system of sorts, plus a painting bay as it lands on everything. I did my painting outside but that was just four alloy rims, inside and out but you could still smell the fumes through the respirator. I don't know how much of that I was taking in, hopefully none.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I think with 2k base and clear a lot comes down to the brand. I've used Debeer in 2k and both the solid white, and silver metallic base and 2k clear. I'm a novice at best but I have found with Debeer it goes on really well. I've only used Debeer but my father in law who did some spraying for me said the Debeer I supplied went on really well compared to some others he has used. Issue is health risks. Need a shed with an extraction system of sorts, plus a painting bay as it lands on everything. I did my painting outside but that was just four alloy rims, inside and out but you could still smell the fumes through the respirator. I don't know how much of that I was taking in, hopefully none.
I love DeBeer in 2k it's great, I've also done a few sets of wheels in it.

As said the problem with 2k comes down to the health risks unless you have extraction fans and a ventilator that feeds outside air in, it's nasty stuff. Just a normal filtered facemask/ventilator won't do the trick.

I refuse to spray it unless I can hire a booth.